FJ 62 Chassis Swap Ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello IH8Mudders. Sorry for the non traditional approach here, but I have an immaculate 1990 FJ 62 (Body and interior at least). It has the typical250kmi syndrome = 3FE/A440F just plain done for. I’m suspecting transfer case and front/rear diff at end of service life soon as well. I’m looking for suggestions other than the traditional LS type swap. Has anyone ventured to try a body/chassis swap onto a later model Land Cruiser/Tacoma/4Runner. Ideally I love the idea of having a FJ 62 Body on a very new chassis to get the IFS/coil overs/drivetrain of a salvaged Tacoma or 4 Runner. Probably a pipe dream here, but worth an ask. Thank you in advance.

Many threads on people swapping the 60 series body onto a modified 80 series chassis. Chassis has to be shortened but end result is coil suspension. Lots and lots and lots and lots of threads about engine and trans swaps too. Recommend using google "FJ60 chassis swap" or "FJ60 engine swap" etc. first results will almost always be mud threads

loads of options. just depends on budget. it really depends what your intended use is.

@TRAIL TAILOR has some pretty sweet mods he can do with your current frame and some 80s or even 60s axles to get your coil overs.

so many questions like do you want to keep all toyota? gas vs diesel are you doing the work yourself or paying. what are your skills like in welding and fabbing (will be required for mating body to new frame) vs just doing drive line swap and keeping stock frame.

so many variables with your question it’s going to be hard to recommend what route to go.

i for instance kept the leaf springs but did a 1hdt intercooler and boosted with a 5 speed and i live it for daily driving and long distance trips plus i can tow a relatively good size load with it.

post op some pics of what you’ve got. we all like seeing clean cruisers!

Thanks guys. Appreciate the nudge in right direction. To clarify some variables, I can do all the work myself(fab, mechanical etc.). Really just looking to get this clean cruiser to a reliable daily driver within a reasonable budget. I was going with the H55f swap and marry up to an LS but if I’m going to go that far, I may as well do a suspension/steering/drivetrain upgrade. I guess at that point I’m wondering if it’s easier/more cost effective to just swap body onto a rolling chassis with everything I want already, rather than frankenweinie it (not suggesting that is anything wrong with that route) just the term that came to mind.

Swapping the body on an 80 series chassis would be the way to go, but a fair amount of work. You would get much more modern suspension, and a great (1FZFE) engine too. Parts availability and aftermarket support is slightly better for FZJ80 stuff too. This would be the ideal swap for a purist. You can even easily turbo the 1FZ and have sufficient power.

I think the more practical option would be the coil conversion kit, rebuild the 3FE, regear, and run a H55. 70% of the benefits of swapping a full chassis, with much less work and complexity. That is the route I am planning to go.

I believe @TRAIL TAILOR has kits to convert your 60 chassis and axles to coil as well...but I cannot remember if the development of that project is done yet.

I know it’s not coil but you said LS stuff
K5 blazer is close...... could have done more for a better final but time said nay and it works swell

397D9A4A-899A-4DA4-96A0-5313D738ADC6.jpeg

Swapping the body on an 80 series chassis would be the way to go, but a fair amount of work. You would get much more modern suspension, and a great (1FZFE) engine too. Parts availability and aftermarket support is slightly better for FZJ80 stuff too. This would be the ideal swap for a purist. You can even easily turbo the 1FZ and have sufficient power.

I think the more practical option would be the coil conversion kit, rebuild the 3FE, regear, and run a H55. 70% of the benefits of swapping a full chassis, with much less work and complexity. That is the route I am planning to go.
That sounds very reasonable. Given the fact that I can still squeeze another 50-70k possibly more out of existing 3FE. I didn’t realize there was a coil over kit. Thank you!! That sounds like my best route. Thanks everyone for the input!! Attached the only pic I have on phone currently. Will post more when I get a chance

8C49654C-A75C-475A-A298-4680051F7F0A.jpeg

That sounds very reasonable. Given the fact that I can still squeeze another 50-70k possibly more out of existing 3FE. I didn’t realize there was a coil over kit. Thank you!! That sounds like my best route. Thanks everyone for the input!! Attached the only pic I have on phone currently. Will post more when I get a chance

View attachment 2661304

Nice 62. I really like them in white for some reason.

So who's leaking oil...the Ford or Yota?

Nice 62. I really like them in white for some reason.

So who's leaking oil...the Ford or Yota?
It’s a Yota leakewge. But it’s the wife’s “new” Corolla. funny how the new ones last a fraction of these classics. Another project for another day. The Ford is another project on its own. You know the saying. If you own an old Ford, you better own enough tools to keep it running.

loads of options. just depends on budget. it really depends what your intended use is.

@TRAIL TAILOR has some pretty sweet mods he can do with your current frame and some 80s or even 60s axles to get your coil overs.

so many questions like do you want to keep all toyota? gas vs diesel are you doing the work yourself or paying. what are your skills like in welding and fabbing (will be required for mating body to new frame) vs just doing drive line swap and keeping stock frame.

so many variables with your question it’s going to be hard to recommend what route to go.

i for instance kept the leaf springs but did a 1hdt intercooler and boosted with a 5 speed and i live it for daily driving and long distance trips plus i can tow a relatively good size load with it.

post op some pics of what you’ve got. we all like seeing clean cruisers!

I believe @TRAIL TAILOR has kits to convert your 60 chassis and axles to coil as well...but I cannot remember if the development of that project is done yet.

Thanks guys. Coil conversion for the 60 with 80 axles.

IMG_20200509_100803592.jpg
IMG_20200523_095052920.jpg

Is your current chassis in good condition?

I’ve been wanting to put one on a crown Vic chassis

You measured?

these are a dime a dozen around here?
I think it would need to be shortened 2” but that’s super easy

That that is.

slammed 60 could be cool 🤔
I’d do airbags and good shocks/swaybars so it could be both a low rider on 26’s or a pro-touring/auto-x beast

I’d do airbags and good shocks/swaybars so it could be both a low rider on 26’s or a pro-touring/auto-x beast
Say when, I like this idea.

will start sourcing a frame.

now the question is 03+ with the soft nose or the older all Steel frame 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom