fj-62 brake swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Full_Throttle

1985 BJ73 RHD
Threads
Hi,
What all is needed to swap the front disk brakes from a late model fj-62 to a '71 fj-40? I can get the knuckles, spindles, backing plates, calipers, bearing hubs and bearings, lockouts, steering arms, large birfields with fj62 inner axles still attached, tirerod w draglink, and rotors. What else would be needed?
Thanks,
Mike

Knuckle bearing caps for the bottom, all of the hardware (cone washers, nuts & bolts, etc), axle housing seals, seal and gasket set for knuckle and hub overhaul, lots of grease, brake pads, brake lines for the backing plate (I have brand new OEM if you want to buy 'em), 4" grinder to clearance your axle housing, FSM so you'll know what you're doing, something to remove the long inner from the big birf, three times more rags than you think.

Lose the fj62 long inner axle. I think the short side inner is the same for FJ40 and FJ62, so you don't need to seperate that one. You can use the tierod (and tierod ends) from the Fj40 if you put shims in the steering arms (Universal Part No. SB0).

which is better...

Is this better than a mini truck disk setup? Which would you use if you had the choice?

Honestly there aren't a lot of differences between the mini and the FJ60-62 disc brake swap. I went with an '89 FJ62 as my donor because it was cheap and convenient. I could probably justify saying that the FJ62 swap is superior because it probably had lower miles, has vented discs, and the larger stronger bolt pattern for the steering arms (but I think the minis did too), but the truth is that if a mini had been cheaper and more convenient than the FJ62 at the time, I'd have used the mini in a heartbeat.

You will love the difference this swap makes. And if you go with the FJ62 stuff, FWIW: I used the shims in the FJ62 steering arms to mate with all of my FJ40 steering stuff (tierod, tierod ends, etc.). When I took it in for alignment after the swap, the shop measured it and said it was still perfect.

Oh yeah, and use the hub centering tool or you'll be replacing the seal inside each axle housing every 10k miles.

Hub centering tool??

Hi,
Thanks for the info. Where can I get the hub centering tool? Also, the shims in the steering arms that you refer to, are these the same shims that I read about that are called the gm starter shims Universal Part No. SB0?
Thanks again for the great info.
Mike

Full_Throttle: Also, the shims in the steering arms that you refer to, are these the same shims that I read about that are called the gm starter shims Universal Part No. SB0?
Yep, that's them.

Full_Throttle: Where can I get the hub centering tool?
You can buy it from a Toy/Lex dealer for about 125$. Maybe you can buy it from SPX/OTC too. When I bought mine several years ago, SPX/OTC told me that the centering tool was a dealer only tool--maybe times have changed? Otherwise, you can borrow or rent one from someone who has one. If you decide to use the tool but can't find one close by, PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom