fj 62 auxilary fuel tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my fuel pump just bit the dust and there is a small amount of rust in it's tank reservior so I am seriously considering the MAF large capacity fuel tank rather than dumpin a bunch of dough in restoring the old one. any correspondance regarding the pros- cons of this larger tank would be appreciated. also, when I purchased the OME-MAF reverse shackle kit I ordered the heavier kit because I realized I would be wanting that high capacity tank and a bullet proof bumper with a tire carrier. Thanks, Darren

I have been eye balling that tank for awhile. My main concern is the price as I have already moved my spare to a bumper rack.

If a small amount of rust is your only concern, how much rust? What does the rest of the tank, that you can see, look like? I recently had my pump out and found a small amount of rust, but nothing to cause concern.

If the tank has to be replaced I would probably go with the MAF tank. If it doesn't, the jury is still out for me. Other changes get priority and do you need the capacity? It mostly comes down to money....

Best of luck

Tony

I'm with Kaynot62, You may only have a little surface rust which will be cought in the filter, I've also heard of a guy who had a rust prob and attached a heavy duty magnet to the outside of the tank to capture the rust. The question is how do you get the rust out once the magnet is covered.

I too have been thinking of the HC fuel tank. Some day I'll have one.

Good luck.

I'm with Kaynot62, You may only have a little surface rust which will be cought in the filter, I've also heard of a guy who had a rust prob and attached a heavy duty magnet to the outside of the tank to capture the rust. The question is how do you get the rust out once the magnet is covered.

I too have been thinking of the HC fuel tank. Some day I'll have one.

Good luck.

Rusty bits of metal can be magnetic, but rust itself is not magnetic. The stuff clogging the filter is probably not magnetic.

Don't forget to check w/ Toyota to verify the date & location of previous fuel tank recall replacement.

Apparently some dealers are too lazy to bother w/ recalls on these old trucks, so are telling owners that the recall has been done, even though it hasn't.

Bummer.. checked with MAF today and they no longer have the extended range fuel tank for the 62. Only the 60 model without the electric pump.

Can use an external, frame rail mounted EFI pump if you're determined to get an extra capacity fuel tank. Would be my preference anyway, no dropping the tank or cutting access hole(s) to get to a failed pump.

I agree easier to change the pump when you dont have to drop the tank. MIke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom