FJ 62 Auto Tranny Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I dropped my rig off at the transmission shop in town to do a check on why I didn't have reverse and 3rd/4th gear. They of course said it needed to be rebuilt (Background - 177K on the odometer; changed transmission fluid twice; changed tranny filter).

Today I got the report that the transmission case was cracked really bad and they'd have to find a new case which they made sound like they had located one and would get working on the rebuild by tomorrow.

Anyone have this problem before? Tomorrow I'm going to go by and look at it and post up some pics if I can. As they work through it I'll post up what I learn to help out anyone that deals with this.

Thanks.

Marty

That smells kinda fishy to me, if the case was cracked you would have a monster leak and i doubt that they could find a replacement case just like that. I think someones trying to get some extra money for a plasma tv or something......

i agree sounds fishy a "a440 trans isn't like finding a 350 or a 400 trans in a yard some where ....but thats my thought

I had the same issue with not going into any gear but 1st. I took it in and they said it had to be rebuilt but they were going to charge me 1500-2000 for it. So i posted an add on Mud to see if anyone had a used tranny. bought it for 300 and had it installed for 600 for a total of 900 and it works great. IMO I think it is much better to go this route than pay for an entire rebuild especially if you have a cracked case as they say. Get an estimate from them before they do any actual work to it b/c you might end up looking at 2000-3000 when it is all said and done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom