fj 60 tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have to replace the tires on my fj 60. I am the original owner and the tires are about 15 year old stock size Michelin snows. I have replaced the suspension with OME 3 inch raise and would like to get larger tires that fit on the stock wheels. Th truck is used for some hauling and daily driving. I really want something to handle snow if it ever occurs again in Northern Virginia. Any size and brand recommendations?

I have to replace the tires on my fj 60. I am the original owner and the tires are about 15 year old stock size Michelin snows. I have replaced the suspension with OME 3 inch raise and would like to get larger tires that fit on the stock wheels. Th truck is used for some hauling and daily driving. I really want something to handle snow if it ever occurs again in Northern Virginia. Any size and brand recommendations?
31x10.5x15 Cooper Discoverer STT pros on stock wheels OME lift . I was told on this site by others I could go larger and you can but there are trade offs with larger tires. Also I really don’t want my tires flying off the bead when charging down the road .

3D87DA9A-030C-4EBA-90ED-98D3F8F77FC1.jpeg

SST's, are great in the snow and on the dry road. You can go bigger, but for on road use, it will cost you acceleration.

I’m really loving my 33x10.5x15 KO2 tires I just had installed. I also just put a 3” lift on as well as regeared the diffs. The overdrive of a larger tire is really nice. The KO2 might not last 15 years but it’s a great tire for about $200.

31x10.5x15 Cooper Discoverer STT pros on stock wheels OME lift . I was told on this site by others I could go larger and you can but there are trade offs with larger tires. Also I really don’t want my tires flying off the bead when charging down the road .

View attachment 2541777
@FlyingPlumr , i'm puzzled by your statement of flying off charging down the road . have you had a negative experience with a certain or larger sizes?

@FlyingPlumr , i'm puzzled by your statement of flying off charging down the road . have you had a negative experience with a certain or larger sizes?
Yes I originally bought 32x11.5x15 however when mounted they sat up 4” in the center and the Toyota dealership that mounted the tire said no go . Now I know you can air down and if you drive mostly off road you can deal with it . I decided to return them and down size to the 31x10.5 and I’m glad I did . I think for what I do it’s a better fit and will get better traction . I could of changed wheels out but I like the stock wheels .

Goodyear wrangler Duratrac in a 31x10.5 would probably be my choice for a snow tire. It’s a snow rated tire.

30/9.5-R15 tires are the biggest allowable on the stock 6" rim

Yes I originally bought 32x11.5x15 however when mounted they sat up 4” in the center and the Toyota dealership that mounted the tire said no go . Now I know you can air down and if you drive mostly off road you can deal with it . I decided to return them and down size to the 31x10.5 and I’m glad I did . I think for what I do it’s a better fit and will get better traction . I could of changed wheels out but I like the stock wheels .
ok, i didn't get that using stock wheels was part of the criteria. carry on

Tires bigger than 30" can be mounted on the stock rims (I had a 31" mounted on my spare) but no tire manufacturer recommends it.

31x10.5x15 KOs
FJ60Paddle.JPG

mike, i'm running used bfg a/ts on my '91 p.u. in the 285/75-16 flavor on stock taco rims with no fitment issues. got them almost 2 yrs ago used at about 70% tread n they're still working well for me. you can't go wrong with goodyear duratracs. a few guys local to me are on their 2nd or 3rd set of them n we wheel everything from sand, rock, mud, snow. i've not heard any negative comments re: premature wear. just my 2cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom