FJ 60 SOA swapping back to SUA with and OME lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.clarionbicycle.com
I am in the process of swapping my 60 to SUA. When I purchased it years ago it already had a SOA that was apparently cut and turned. I’ve wanted to lower the suspension for years as it is way too high for my liking and I don’t even like wheeling with it as it is too unstable. I started the process this week and have the new front springs installed on the stock perches. I am trying to find the stock steering setup as the high steer doesn’t have clearance. My main question at the moment is what will the ideal caster and pinion angle be. Everywhere I look I get very conflicting information. As it sits on its own weight the caster is currently around +10 and the pinion is Angled up toward the case 5. So they are about 15 degrees apart. Is this normal for a cut and turn axle to be 15 degrees apart. Some places say the caster should be around 1-3. Others say 3-5 and I’ve even read 7-9. Also some places say the pinion angle should be parallel to the output of the case while other say it should point at the case. If I use a 5 degree spring shim that would make my caster 5 degrees and my pinion 10 degrees pointing directly at the transfer case.
Thoughts???
Anyone know the caster and pinion angles of a stock 60?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'd still go back to stock axles to remove the headache, but if you don't mind sorting out the cut n turn back to stock.. then

Take driveshaft off or try to determine pinion flange angle off t-case and then the differential, set them so they match. Then take your angle finder and set it on the knuckle balls and see how much caster was added during the cut n turn. Then back it off to what I believe is 1*.

Something else to keep in mind...you're playing with the caster with a brand new lift on the truck so you are currently adjusting for those changes as well. 'Stock' won't be the same as what you have on the truck now as it will be affected by the lift springs.

Last edited:
As anyone actually tried buying good stock axle housings lately? Sounds like the 5 degree shims would work well. 5-degrees of caster is a touch high but not bad. It will track really really well on the highway

(I'm at about 5-degrees of caster currently)

I can't imagine what stock front axle housings go for right now....

I am in the process of swapping my 60 to SUA. When I purchased it years ago it already had a SOA that was apparently cut and turned. I’ve wanted to lower the suspension for years as it is way too high for my liking and I don’t even like wheeling with it as it is too unstable. I started the process this week and have the new front springs installed on the stock perches. I am trying to find the stock steering setup as the high steer doesn’t have clearance. My main question at the moment is what will the ideal caster and pinion angle be. Everywhere I look I get very conflicting information. As it sits on its own weight the caster is currently around +10 and the pinion is Angled up toward the case 5. So they are about 15 degrees apart. Is this normal for a cut and turn axle to be 15 degrees apart. Some places say the caster should be around 1-3. Others say 3-5 and I’ve even read 7-9. Also some places say the pinion angle should be parallel to the output of the case while other say it should point at the case. If I use a 5 degree spring shim that would make my caster 5 degrees and my pinion 10 degrees pointing directly at the transfer case.
Thoughts???
Anyone know the caster and pinion angles of a stock 60?

View attachment 2479938

View attachment 2479939

View attachment 2479940

What size tires are you running now in this photo?

looks good~

Was just thinking about all the 80 axle swaps that are so popular now.

I forgot about that. Maybe 60 axles will come back down in value

What size tires are you running now in this photo?

looks good~
315/75r16. Hoping to keep the same size from when it was SOA. I drilled the perches to move the axle 1” further forward and it looks like I should have sufficient clearance.

@FJ60Seth runs 35's and is sprung under. He has not problems with rock crawling on harder trails.

If I wasn't on the wrong coast, and a good 3 months from definitely having them available, I'd offer to make you deal on my old, still-SUA axles once I put the new ones I'm building on. Then, you could sell your axles to someone who wants SOA but doesn't know how to weld.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom