FJ 60 + non us lo-ratio 4 speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will the lo-ratio 4 speed fit my 4/85 FJ60? Seems like it could be a budget friendly way to get a better first gear, and combined with 33" tires it would be OK on the road. Anyone done this? Impossible? Impractical? The dumbest idea since prohibition?

just checking all my options before I write that big check for a 5-speed.

Last edited:
should work

Somebody on MUD is running this combination - don't remember who.

M

That would be me. :)

Mine's an 11/83 (1984 model year), and the non-US 4 speed is great. Rubber overdrive is working well, too. :)

Edit: on your '85, you may have to lengthen your rear driveshaft a bit. The 85-up transmission is a little longer than the 84-down version, since the rest of the world got 5-speeds that year.

Last edited:
Could I use the spacer from my units to eliminate the d-shaft work? Or is the interface different? No biggie on the d-shaft work, its pretty cheap, but the t-case shifter seems like it might be a pain. I'll go take a look and see whats involved. Where are the 4 spds available besides SOR?

polarweasel said:
That would be me. :)

Mine's an 11/83 (1984 model year), and the non-US 4 speed is great. Rubber overdrive is working well, too. :)

Edit: on your '85, you may have to lengthen your rear driveshaft a bit. The 85-up transmission is a little longer than the 84-down version, since the rest of the world got 5-speeds that year.

My rig is 1988/06 FJ62 and she had H41 low 1st gear transmission from factory. (But now I moved to H55F at 2005/05/19 :D )
I compared both H41 and H55F and found that they have same length.
H41 which is used for post '85 land cruisers have same adapter which is used for post '85 USA version of FJ60.
You could find at attached photo. That is my old H41.
H41 was used until 1990/01 at Non-USA FJ62.
So, I think because yours is '85 that if you can get H41 which is from post '85 landcruiser, the only thing you must do is changing transmission from H42 to H41.
You might reuse your old stuffs.

Good Luck !

DSCF0694.jpg

Last edited:
Very Interesting, thanks schaats. I gotta see if I can find this H41 trans, and compare $s with the H55. If the 4 spd can bolt in like the 5 spd, and save a thou or so, I'll live without the 5th gear. This plan could save even more $ than just the trans, because every time I ran gearing #s with the 5 spd I kept thinking about how low I could go in the diffs and still keep a useable high gear. With the 4spd it'll reduce the temptation to regear the diffs. No need for a 5th gear with 33s/3.70s. Now with 33s/4.56s that 5th would be pretty cool....

leaky60 said:
Now with 33s/4.56s that 5th would be pretty cool....

for sure .. !!! :D When I had my HJ-60 H55F + 4.56 + 33" with luck, 120 km/h ( I don´t want more, but I don't know you )

shaats said:
My rig is 1988/06 FJ62 and she had H41 low 1st gear transmission from factory

Very intersting .. I thought that the H41 has been discuntinued about 1980 and grow the H42 to 1982.

Tapage said:
for sure .. !!! :D When I had my HJ-60 H55F + 4.56 + 33" with luck, 120 km/h ( I don´t want more, but I don't know you )

Very intersting .. I thought that the H41 has been discuntinued about 1980 and grow the H42 to 1982.

I know ;)
But depending on my information, H41 was used until 1992/01 production date.
Also FJ62 was produced until 1992/01.(But USA, 1990/01 is final)

Attached photo is my Vehicle Information plate.
You cound see 'H41' at there :)

I was satisfied with my old transmission before only except need of overdrive.
It caused 0 trouble until now. It's great transmission indeed ! But because I want overdrive that I swapped to H55F at last month.
And I saw posts about rubber overdrive at this board. But still I don't know what it is :eek:

Have nice land cruising !

IMG_0668.jpg

Last edited:
"Rubber overdrive" refers to the overdrive effect that larger tires have. They raise your effective axle gear ratio, giving you slower engine RPMs for a given road speed.

I run the H41 with a Ranger Overdrive, a V8, and 32 inch tires. Love it. Got it at Specter; near new condition.

schaats said:
I know ;)
But depending on my information, H41 was used until 1990/01 production date.
And also FJ62 was produced until 1992/01.(But USA, 1990/01 is final)

Attached photo is my Vehicle Information plate.
You cound see 'H41' at there :)

I was satisfied with my old transmission before only except need of overdrive.
It caused 0 trouble until now. It's great transmission indeed ! But because I want overdrive that I swapped to H55F at last month.
And I saw posts about rubber overdrive at this board. But still I don't know what it is :eek:

Have nice land cruising !

No doubt about it .. but not usual for me .. :D

http://www.cruiserheads.org/series/codigo/codigo.htm

Tapage said:
No doubt about it .. but not usual for me .. :D

http://www.cruiserheads.org/series/codigo/codigo.htm

My FJ62 is H55F + 235/75/R15 + 3.7
When she had H41, ran 80km at 2000RPM, 4th gear.
But now 96km at 2000RPM :D (only depending on speedometer)
I'm very satisfied with 3.7 gear ratio. It offers good fuel mileage.
I had a chance to go to 4.11 gear without cost but I didn't because I ran on the high way almost more than 95%.

I hope can go to 31" or 32" tire with good alloy wheel. But it require so much $$
So, I'm saving money now :)
If I use 31" or 32" tire, is it called as rubber overdrive ? :rolleyes:

You could find my FJ62 at 60/62 series registery.
She have many unusual spec. from factory, such as front drum brake, factory roof rack, front bench seat, cyclone air intake system, etc. :D

I saw above URL. But I can't read any Spanish at all :doh:

Have nice land cruising !!

Last edited:
Don't you need to change the t/c? I thought the H41 was found in cruisers before the "split" case (which came out in 1980).

One of the members here told me he is using the setup I'm asking about on his 84 (I think) FJ60, so that setup would work on my 85. I'm hoping to do it without moving my shifter and working the D-shafts though. I'm kinda surprised that there isn't more interest in this combo, but with the 5 speed out there I guess the people who are swapping gearboxes are normally going with the 5. I'm trying to contact SORs tech line but the # has been busy for a couple of days now. I'll definitly post what I find out, if it works or not, and what it takes to make it happen if I go that route.

timbercruiser said:
Don't you need to change the t/c? I thought the H41 was found in cruisers before the "split" case (which came out in 1980).

My FJ62 have spilit transfer case already ;)
She was equiped with H41 + spilit transfer case from factory.
Also, same drive shaft length with other FJ62s.

Last edited:
i've got the h41 on my stock '88 hj60. with 3.73 and 31" tires, it works great, a little bit low on 1st for around town, but I've got dirt roads here, so slow is fine. wouldn't mind taller tires on the freeway.. but I only do about 200 freeway miles a month, so it isn't a priority

leaky60 said:
Will the lo-ratio 4 speed fit my 4/85 FJ60? Seems like it could be a budget friendly way to get a better first gear, and combined with 33" tires it would be OK on the road. Anyone done this? Impossible? Impractical? The dumbest idea since prohibition?

just checking all my options before I write that big check for a 5-speed.

Get the 5speed. It's the same amount of work to swap in an H41, so if your time is worth anything the $$ for the H55 gets smaller and smaller. I'm finishing my install, check this out:
tranny3.jpg

Love the pic! Thats what I want for sure, but the budget is getting streched pretty thin already (I just put an order in for a new YZ450). To all with the 5 spd: Is the OD useful with stock R&Ps and 33s? The answer to that is critical to my plans, I dont want to spend more on the 5 spd that will make me want to spend more on regearing. More $ + more $ = even more $ for a divorce lawyer, lol.

I guess my point was that the time involved is substantail and so you may as well do the best possible thing. Remember that a rebuilt H41 with the proper extension housing will not be cheap, if you can find one at all. Plus you will have the usual concerns you have when buying used gear in unknown condition. Then there is the remove, rebuild and reinstall labor=many hours of hard work.

The H55f on the other hand, is brand new, and backed by a Toyota warranty. It is suprisingly inexpensive given the great quality of the unit. It seriously is a beauty. My opinion: Better, cheaper, and less hassle in the long run.

As to your last question about gearing, here is my biased opinion:
33s with stock gears in an FJ60 are sub optimal. It's fine on the highway, but you will dread uphill redlights-I have been there and done that. 4.11s are a nice match for 33s, That's what my FJ60 has-I swapped in diffs from a 78 FJ40 and had the rear rebuilt with new bearings. I would get the diffs right first, then worry about new transmission options. But that's just me.

The gearing of the H55 is better at both ends. The first gear is lower and the 5th gear is higher. You are getting the best of both worlds. Good luck whatever you decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom