Fj -60 Engine for sale but… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I’m amazed at how many engines are for sale but no compression numbers. I consider that a boat anchor. It is so easy to obtain engine numbers . Helping younger guys with their engines they bought . The stories they tell me the former owner said are. Ran good when run 5 years ago,ran good when I had it but I’m pulling it out to put different engine in. Redone by previous owner but no paperwork. Writing this not to gripe but to inform the youger people out there don’t buy engines without compression numbers. This is still no full guarantee but it sure is a good start.

That’s great advice- but probably 99% of the old pulled 2Fs never got compression tested before they were removed then set it storage for years. And once they’re out of the vehicle, testing compression is never going to happen.
But I agree, having compression numbers before a sale would be very helpful.

Hi, I’m amazed at how many engines are for sale but no compression numbers. I consider that a boat anchor. It is so easy to obtain engine numbers . Helping younger guys with their engines they bought . The stories they tell me the former owner said are. Ran good when run 5 years ago,ran good when I had it but I’m pulling it out to put different engine in. Redone by previous owner but no paperwork. Writing this not to gripe but to inform the youger people out there don’t buy engines without compression numbers. This is still no full guarantee but it sure is a good start.
Ran great when I pulled it 5 years ago and its been stored under that log over there ever since so it should be a good engine for you.

LOL, great post! I am the one looking for the 2F with decent compression...seems like a unicorn.

My hope was to find a swap out. It seems a lot of owners, even me 20+ years ago, consider swapping these motors without really know what you got.

I've had a bad cylinder for some time...finally tired of all the oil leaks. My plan is to rebuild my old one. The motor I'm looking for is really just gonna be a "loaner"... I would try to sell it once I get the new motor back in....I've got other cars to drive so I'm not that concerned...I just love driving the FJ60.

LOL, great post! I am the one looking for the 2F with decent compression...seems like a unicorn.

My hope was to find a swap out. It seems a lot of owners, even me 20+ years ago, consider swapping these motors without really know what you got.

I've had a bad cylinder for some time...finally tired of all the oil leaks. My plan is to rebuild my old one. The motor I'm looking for is really just gonna be a "loaner"... I would try to sell it once I get the new motor back in....I've got other cars to drive so I'm not that concerned...I just love driving the FJ60.

why swap twice?

why swap twice?
Punishment? lol, for the same reason I tell my wife...I've had this since '96, and I'm sentimental. After 27 years, I know the truck like the back of my hand. And while it may look like a piece of crap to many, I never thought twice about driving it on road trips. Putting someone else's motor in, would leave some doubt in my mind...

I have a 2F with great compression. It just had a spin bearing 😂.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom