FJ 60 Dash cap removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to refresh/paint the Dash Cap that is installed over the original dash by PO. Has anyone successfully removed/replaced one without breaking it? If so, got any advice?

fairly easy, it comes out as 1 piece, it has a metal subframe covered on top with the pad
remove gauge cluster and hvac controls and tubes
screws on each end and several nuts along the firewall, use a ratchet wrench, IIRCC they just need loosened not removed, center has no nut it just has a tab that keeps the pad in place
the unit is fairly rigid and not easily bent or destroyed

fairly easy, it comes out as 1 piece, it has a metal subframe covered on top with the pad
remove gauge cluster and hvac controls and tubes
screws on each end and several nuts along the firewall, use a ratchet wrench, IIRCC they just need loosened not removed, center has no nut it just has a tab that keeps the pad in place
the unit is fairly rigid and not easily bent or destroyed

I think the OP is referring to one of the aftermarket covers that fits over the original dash (@jobispo)

@jobispo if you mean one of the aftermarket add on covers....then the answer is a lot harder because it comes down to how the PO put the cover on. I have one in my truck and the PO clearly put it on way too aggressively and mine is cracked...I've tried to detach it but its clearly going to further damage the original.

I think the OP is referring to one of the aftermarket covers that fits over the original dash (@jobispo)

@jobispo if you mean one of the aftermarket add on covers....then the answer is a lot harder because it comes down to how the PO put the cover on. I have one in my truck and the PO clearly put it on way too aggressively and mine is cracked...I've tried to detach it but its clearly going to further damage the original.
Yes. I was referring to the aftermarket cover. However, if I am correct I can remove the whole thing based on the previous post. Probably a PITA but it would avoid what you have experienced. Thanks guys

Yes. I was referring to the aftermarket cover. However, if I am correct I can remove the whole thing based on the previous post. Probably a PITA but it would avoid what you have experienced. Thanks guys
I haven’t removed mine but from what I have read it’s really not that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom