FJ 60 BJ 60 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up a non running, rust free 1987 FJ 60 and I am going to swap in my 3B(after rebuild) and drive train(5 speed) from my 84 BJ. I have my mechanic friend lined up to do most of the heavy lifting but he wants to know what to expect about engine mounts (fab or reuse?) and diffs and axles. Anyone know how it all lines up? I've been looking around but havn't found a thread like that yet,

thanks
cam

bundy18 said:
sorry, i know nothing

Then why did you reply?

The story with the engine mounts is that the 2H and 2F engine mounts are the same in shape and location, however the 3B mount is different. This is due to the shorter length of the engine.

Assuming that you use the same transfer case, you will have no problems with the axles, and the ratios in the differentials will be perfect for the setup that you have.

I'm not sure if you can just relocate the 2F mounts. Maybe you can. I don't know that answer.

Last edited:
84 to 87 FJ, no problem, should be a direct bolt up on the tranny cross member which will locate the motor mounts. Cut the motor mountes carefully out of the 3B donor rig and reweld them in the new rig.

Pice of cake, yourchoice but I never swap in the wiring harness, just put in a momentary switch for the glows.

EDIC motor will need some help shutting the motor off and over fueling for starte up. Could used push pull cable.

Do a search there is a fair bit on this installation.

Rob

I just finished a swap and I used the BJ mounts and welded them into my FJ frame. Unlike Rob, I swapped over the harness as it is not all that hard to pull your dash apart and then everything is like factory. And i do not like wiring, so i thought it would be easier this way. You will have to swap over your diff companion flanges on the FJ due to the BJ flanges on the driveshafts being larger bolt pattern. Good luck

Be careful welding to the frame: try to make the beads parallel to it rather than perpendicular since the heat weakens the metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom