FJ 55 Transfer Case Shift Shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 72 FJ55 with a 5.7 Chevy, 4 speed, ranger OD and what appears to be a split case transfer case. I got it off of a guy on Craigslist that said he didn't have any trouble with the 4wd. Well I can't get it into 4wd. It shifts easily into high and low, but won't go into 4wd. The shaft that engages between 4 and 2 going into the transfer case appears misaligned. I tried helping it move with a hammer and a wrench but it won't move. It doesn't appear to have any way of inspecting that area without taking it completely apart. Any ideas on how to get it into 4wd or inspect it without pulling s*** completely apart?

IMG_3530.JPG

IMG_3530.JPG

IMG_3531.JPG

That alignment is still good enough to engage front wheel drive.

So the lever won't pull back from inside the truck?

www.marksoffroad.net

Where the front driveshaft attaches to the transfer case does it rotate freely? Can you move the flange up and down at all?

I'm not sure if the picture does it enough justice, but the shaft coming out of the tarnsfer case is what isn't straight. Does that matter? I would figure that would need to be pretty straight

I'm not sure if the picture does it enough justice, but the shaft coming out of the tarnsfer case is what isn't straight. Does that matter? I would figure that would need to be pretty straight

It would be virtually impossible to bend the part inside the transfer. So as long as the bend is in the collapsed position (2wd) it should still move out.

That said, you've got basically three possibilities. The first is that the shaft is frozen. You can try pulling the 4wd sensor switch to apply some lube , grab the shaft behind the shift lever with some vice grips and try to rotate it.

The other two choices are the shift fork and the shift collar. As you've already determined, They will both require disassembly.

Best

Mark

www.marksoffroad.net

Thank you Mark. I appreciate your help.

Where is the 4wd sensor switch located?

It's a few inches back from the flange, on the outside of the nosecone. Even if there is no switch there, there will be a plug for the detent ball and spring that will allow the same access opportunity.

Best

Mark

www.marksoffroad.net

I'm with Mark. The shaft SHOULD be able to move in/out and hit the detent positions. However, given how misaligned that shift shaft is, my vote is for serious shift fork breakage up inside the housing. It still doesn't quite explain why the shift shaft is so crooked but there HAS to be some major broken parts in the front output assembly/nose cone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom