Fj 45 alternator swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone I have F engine on my 64 fj45 and I just installed a new wiring harness. Im looking for an 100 amp alternator. Can anyone point me in the right direction? All other alternators that O have found won't fit in the stock F engine mount. Thanks in advance..

This the harness I'm using..

Screenshot_20201024-125749_eBay.jpg

Why do you need a 100 amp alternator?

Rebuilding your current alternator to factory specs is pretty easy. ( I know, you rejected this idea already).

Also, if your still running the wiring through the amp gauge in the cluster, bumping it up to 100 amps may not be a good idea (but I'm no expert on this).

The output of the alternator has nothing to do with your choice of aftermarket wiring harness, fyi.

Rebuilding your current alternator to factory specs is pretty easy. ( I know, you rejected this idea already).

Also, if your still running the wiring through the amp gauge in the cluster, bumping it up to 100 amps may not be a good idea (but I'm no expert on this).

The output of the alternator has nothing to do with your choice of aftermarket wiring harness, fyi.
Im not using the stock cluster. And I'm adding led bars,and winch. Also I'm using a fj80 gas tank and fuel pump with a regulator. I cant use the stock alternator. Also I've talk to several work shops and they all tell me that its impossible to upgrade the stock alternator.

Hi everyone I have F engine on my 64 fj45 and I just installed a new wiring harness. Im looking for an 100 amp alternator. Can anyone point me in the right direction? All other alternators that O have found won't fit in the stock F engine mount. Thanks in advance..

I have seen this exact Alternator i offer in my store , installed on a 2F

i know little about the conversion itself

this is a 90A amps unit OEM Denso / NipponDenso

i am not sure why you need all the 100 amps for , like @pjohnson comments on above , but if you require it , you do

you will NOT find a higher AMP unit then this one that has the 2 Tabs lower pivot brackets that make the conversion even possible ,

after the later model DENSO OEM , they switched up to a totally different mount lower type in NO way comparable with a early 2 tabbs lower engine side bracket

the set up i saw work in photos simply required , the use of stacked washers to move the main body of the My alternator frontwards and or backwards so one of dual drive belts pulleys could be correctly lined up

the top adjust bar was a concave one , NOT a straight one , this is a easy part to source .....

please study the below pics and tech links very well , prior to making a decision please

i see no real world difference deal breaker differences in a 90a amps vs your 100a AMPS spec ? 🤔

90a AMPS is way more you can possibly imagine , well ............can run any SUV type Electric Winch i have ever seen more then well for a long long spell ..........

this special puppy can keep the Turret of a WWII German Tiger Tank rotating strong all day that is for sure :D

PM me if i can further help or your more detailed questions

thanks
matt

1603870066535.png

1603870089151.png

1603870114636.png

I'm looking for more power myself, maybe not 100 amps but at least 70 or so, but 100 amps just seems like the good round number.

There is a 30 amp ampmeter in the dash, but I think the original alternators were actually capable of 45 amps or so?

But start adding it up.. A nice stock unremarkable high beam bulb is about 50 watts, two of them at 12 v is 8 amps.
Turn on the heater and windshield wipers (ya, who would ever turn those both on at the same time??), both are probably good for another 8 amps each.

Sylvania 1156 is listed as 26 watts. At 12v that's 2 amps. How many of these are in the running lights?

My own fj40 came from the previous owner with a 30 amp breaker right off the battery (where the fusible link is probably supposed to be). Several years ago I changed to an HEI distributor, and wired the power to this through a relay with a built in fuse, right off the battery. But it got wet and went to crap and replacing it I found a new relay with no fuse, and decided to just go ahead and wire that off the 30 amp breaker...

That same week, working on something else I found the PO spliced some wires into the harness about 12 inches back from the alternator. And the big white / blue one was scorched and melted it's butt splice terminal. My quick fix was a wire straight from there to the battery (6awg, because a roll was on the shelf).

So, now, EVERYTHING was powered through that 30 amp breaker (previously, power from the alternator only went through the breaker to charge the battery). First test drive, at night, light sprinkle, and POW. HEI backfired as that 30 amp breaker blew...

Lights, heater, wipers and the engine are using more than 30 amps. I think the alternator can hang with that load and keep up (the subtle issues with my FJ40's wiring are a problem) but the alternator doesn't have a lot left in it after that.

Personally, my plan is to get a delco alternator and build a new bracket, but haven't got to it yet, and only assume it shouldn't be that hard. Would rather have something I built myself with inexpensive and easy to find parts than something several times more expensive because it fits that original bracket. And am really kinda surprised I don't see any vendors with an aftermarket solution for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom