FJ 40 rear axle shafts (1 Viewer)

Hey MUD I was just stopping in to ask a quick opinionated question:

Can the rear axle shafts on a early model 40 (67-74 ish) hold up to a mild v8, sm465, and a locker with 37s without having to replace them everytime I go out.

I know some people would just tell me to swap it out to tons or some variation but Id rather stick with a good old offset cruiser axle. If they can't be expected to hold up to 37s is there a company who sells upgraded rear shafts? Ive checked out Marlin, MAF, Specter and the like but cant seem to find any.

I just wanted to figure this stuff out before I spend the dineros on a set of 37s when 35s would have been the way to go or at least know that I have to figure in some upgraded shafts to handle them.

Poly Performance Sells Chromoly Shafts..

Any Yes the stock Shafts are very strong..

It all "Depends" on how much Hell you give them.. If you Love Hamming the Throttle and spinning the tires to concor obsticles, then you need 1 tons!

many people run 37's on stock axles.. Do some Searching on Fine Spline Pinnion, you will want to run one (Or Aftermarket gears)

I wouldnt say Im the hardest on them but I defenitely dont baby my rigs around, if theres an obstical and it doesnt want to get out of the way I have been known to lose some rubber on it :D

pb4ugo

SILVER Star

I'd be more concerned about the strength of a stk transfer case, when hammering w/37's and a V8. You might consider upgrading it too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom