FJ-40 Lift Questions??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, let me start by saying in somewhat new to these rigs, but I found an awesome deal on one. I am SERIOUSLY considering getting it soon. I want to get a lift for it when I do get it so I had a few questions about lifts for these cars. From what I see, Skyjacker seems to be the way to go (for a 4" lift). Do you NEED to get shocks to drive it? I know the kit is much cheaper without them. How much worse will the ride quality be without shocks? What is the cheapest this lift can be bought for (with and without shocks.....new and used if anyone is selling theirs)? I want to get a quality 4" lift and a set of 33x12.50's on 15x8 black rock crawler wheels, but all of this with the purchase price of the car is kinda expensive for a high schools student... :frown: Please help. Thanks.

Thomas

welcome

let's start of with they aren't cars

yes shocks are important for on road and off road drivability

Welcome.

Have you read through the FAQ on this?

You will need to purchase longer shocks to go along with your longer, lift springs, period.

There are not a lot of things with these vehicles that are inexpensive....quality costs money, you get what you pay for.

Good luck!

-Steve

-Steve

You can find used skyjacker lifts for around half the price of new and they will work exactly the same. Hell, the springs will probably be better than new since they will be broken in. And yes you need to run shocks. Check in the for sale section for used lifts.

Not sure who you are buying the truck from but if it is Vintage Offroad please do yourself a favor and run the other way now.

Thomas,

Welcome to MUD!

What year 40 are you contemplating?

I would not say the SkyJacker is the obvious choice...

If you use the "Search" function, and search for threads by me, you will see one on a 4 inch lift I installed, with pics...

Also, read up on a "spring over axle" or SOA.

Prepare before you pull the trigger on buying one of these...

If you want 4 inch springs, I would also look at the Downey springs. I have them on both of my FJ's and love them!

for 33's, a 2.5" lift is more than fine...heck, run 33x 10.5's and they'll squeeze in there stock....

however, price on a 2.5 and a 4 is the same, or close...2.5's will ride slightly nicer.

matching shocks are a must with a lift, not for ride, but for wheel travel and because you have now moved the shock mounts further apart.

I had skyjackers and liked them....I've installed downey's and they seemed nice too.

welcome :D

I put Downey's 4 incher on my 40 and posted pics. After that, Mark (65swb45) told me he handles the same product through his biz: www.marksoffroad.net

I would definitely check out Mark, he seems like a solid cat...

For shocks I am putting Doetsch-Tech on. Right now I just have fronts on, w/ F-250 mounts. FJBen and I will put rears on tomorrow, after we weld new mounts on. So far, I really like the ride compared to 27 year old springs and shocks.

Then we'll see how it flexes...

PabloCruise, I am seriously considering a 1974 FJ40. It's forest green with black seats. It has a 350 small block chevy in it that is about 6 years old (freshly rebuilt when it was installed. The owners now just got done installing a full-out new exhaust system with true dual exhaust and flowmaster mufflers. It's a 3 speed with 4.10 gears. The interior has some rust near the ambulance doors and in the floor boards. Price: 2900 USD :)

3-speed 1974?....

1974 FJ40's should be the first year of the 4-speed transmission, drum front axle, possibly the early t-case...4.1 stock gears.

IMO, start asking questions, specifrically why they switched out the better 4-speed tranny....

I know 1974 was the first year of the 4 speed. They haven't swapped out the tranny either. The only thing I could put together is that it either IS a 4 speed or it isn't really a '74.

i run the skyjacker 2 1/2 33's ranchos all around
the ride is good.
it is not a kidney pounder at all. very please with s/j set up.

4" is alittle tall for 33's

i'll be using my s/j springs when i do my SOA.
and go to 37's

Probably not what you want to hear but you may want to find the limits of the vehicle with the existing set up. You will probably be a better driver for it.

If you can wait I'd look around for a more stock unit to start with. It sounds like you research stuff, good. If you read a lot and figure out the best set up for your kind of driving you will know how to set your rig up right the first time. The closer to stock you start the less stuff you will have to un-do.
Just my .02 worth

rusty_tlc said:
Probably not what you want to hear but you may want to find the limits of the vehicle with the existing set up. You will probably be a better driver for it.h

excellent point...I drove a near-stock FJ40 with 31's for many many years....funny thing, I always stayed on the wheels until I lifted it too....lol

BlackLight said:
PabloCruise, I am seriously considering a 1974 FJ40. It's forest green with black seats. It has a 350 small block chevy in it that is about 6 years old (freshly rebuilt when it was installed. The owners now just got done installing a full-out new exhaust system with true dual exhaust and flowmaster mufflers. It's a 3 speed with 4.10 gears. The interior has some rust near the ambulance doors and in the floor boards. Price: 2900 USD :)

rebuilt means different things to different people!

I thought ambulance doors came out in 75?

Exactlly! 74 with ambulance doors? But $2.9k for a 'good' condition cruiser is not bad. New Skyjackers will be stiff for a while. I have 2" SJ on my 73 SOA rig and I run 38s with no problem.

Ambulance doors didn't come out until 1975?...4 speed tranny came out in 1974?...Obviously, something has been modified. I will call and ask the guy who owned it before him. If I could get a name (and possibly a number), I will give him a call and find out what all he did to it (and what kind of driving he did with it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom