FJ-40 gas tank

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by mep1811, Oct 24, 2005.

1. mep1811

mep1811

It is finally time to replace my gas tank in my 1977 FJ-50. I had had the tank to the shop to be clenaed but there still is a lot of rust being trapped in the fule filter so much that I have to change the filter every two weeks.

Based on my research on the lists I am going to go with a OEM tank.

What else should I replace ?

Mike TLCA 8009

2. honk

honk

Media:
    Well, just bear in mind that a new tank won't come with the fitting, small hoses, fillpipe, clamps, or maybe not the drainplug. There won't be straps, sender, sender gasket, or rubber insulators either - just a tank. So take a look at all of the small parts you have and buy new if you don't like what you see.

Order from CDan.

3. PabloCruise

PabloCruise SILVER Star

Who cleaned the tank? A radiator shop? They should be more than capable of cleaning it out...

4. Dianna

Dianna

Media:
    Albums:
    I used a Por-15 Fuel Tank Repair kit, worked great and easy to do. :)

5. Benson

Benson

As long as the tank is out you might as well look at the lines running forward and make sure they are not a hazard. Mine were dinged up and had a lot of rust. It beats having to drain and pull the tank again later.

HTH.

James
    '78 fj40

6. Advent

Advent

I replaced mine with a poly tank from Cool Cruisers, and used all the old factory parts to install it.

The tank is great, but it could really use baffling. If the fuel is low enough and I turn left hard enough, it will cut out. In the 3 years since it went in, it's happened 3 times.

I like that it can never rust out again. I've changed the fuel filter once or twice since the tank change was finished (and all the old crud cleared from the lines). Before, I was changing it at least weekly.

7. lone gunman

lone gunman

i also used the POR15 tank sealer with great results. its not that hard or expensive, you might try it first.

8. mep1811

mep1811

Thanks for your ideas. I took the tank to a radiator shop and they worked on it. I still get large flecks of rust . The crusier had been sitting for five years and the tank nad more water than gas in it.
    Mike El Paso TLCA 8009

9. Wadesters

Wadesters SILVER Star

I took one to an auto stripper. They vatted it and the result was all the rust gone looked like new metal. Radiator shop could not do this process. I could not believe the results. Good luck!!

10. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    New OEM tank and be done with it. It will last you the rest of your life if you take care of it.

Good luck!

-Steve

11. tfdcruiser

tfdcruiser

I had this exact same problem; had the tank cleaned to what I thought was immaculate condition and still got rust flecks enough to clog my filter. I took a big magnet the kind used as a welding ground (harbor freight 4.00) and stuck it to the out side of the tank to trap the flecks before they get to the pick up tube , it seems to be working great no clogged lines ... yet.

12. JP_FJ40

JP_FJ40

i wire brushed and patched my orignal tank 3 times with Seal All, and then replaced it with a poly tank when "Land Cruiser Connection" in MD were still in business. it seemed like a good solution, except the tank was about 4 gallons smaller than stock. that was the difference between making the house in VT and having to stop and fill on the way. bye bye poly tank. plus it always had vapor leaks in hot weather even with Seal All applied to all the fittings. i got tired of leaving a window cracked, and still arriving anywhere smelling of gasoline.

that said, never could figure out why, when i first pulled it, that in a '78 with the recess in the tub for the tank, Toyota put FELT strips in as cushions. FELT??? the strips absorbed water and then proceeded to rot the tank in those exact spots.

even if you don't buy a new OEM tank (but why not) you should get a can of 3M rubberized undercoating and liberally apply undercoat to your tank bottom and side seams.

i layed 3 coats on mine before i dropped a new OEM tank in two weekends ago. i hope not to have to crack that nut open again for many years.

as long as everything else is in good condition, you should be able to swap it all over.

anyone want to buy a poly tank?...

13. brian

brian SILVER Star

yeap i went poly.......and so sorry i did'nt know that oem steel tanks are a mere 50 bucks more :mad: :doh: :crybaby:

14. rocknfj40

rocknfj40

I work on alot of old bikes, alot of them have been sitting for manny years and have to same problem you are having. at the shop we dump a box of 3/8 nuts in the tank and shake the hell out of it then rinse it out a couple of times with varsal. the nuts get the rust flakes off of the inside of the tank. this might ber an idea. :beer:

15. jaybonecrow

jaybonecrow

Nuts and bolts work great!

A hand full of both with a little paint thinner and shake the hell out of it for a few days. Worked great on mine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.