FJ-40 distributor ????????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a stupid question. I am restoring my '73 FJ-40 and have the engine removed. I took the distributor out to clean and my marks to set it back in the same position were cleaned too.
I need the best way to set it back correcttly to get the timing right. I have done this before, but cant remember the exact placement of cylinders,and rotor.
Thanks, Rob. :-\

There's two ways I usually reset a disturbed dizzy. It depends on how easy it is to get the valve cover off and wehether or not I have help. The easiest way is to pull the number one plug, stick your finger over the hole and have your lovely assistant bump the starter until you feel air coming out. Then line up the timing mark. You can double check TDC by putting a straw (or a screwdriver if you're really carefull not to let it get pinched) in the cylinder and turning the motor until it stops going up and starts going back down. Back to between up and down is right on TDC.
You can do the same thing by yourself with the valve cover off by watching the valves. Exhaust opens, then closes, then intake opens and closes, then the next time the timing mark comes around it's TDC on the firing stroke. This is often easiest on an engine stand.
Drop the dizzy so the rotor is pointing toward the radiator. the factory puts that as number one. Be sure the oil pump slot is lined up and engaged.
Hope that's the info you need. :D

Thanks for the help. The motor is on a stand, so getting to eveything is easy. I thought that was the correct procedure, just needed to make sure.
Thanks, Rob. ::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom