FJ 40 buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay guys, need some opinions and advice here.

I am building up an FJ-40 rock crawler. Here are the guidelines. All Toyota (except the Klune if I go that route) and preferably, all in the Land Cruiser family. The truck is going to be 4 linked front and rear, running 40s, or thereabouts, (with 5.29s), full hydro, full cage, and all the normal accompaniments.

Here are the questions:

What is the best setup for the engine/tranny/dual/t-case available to me? I was originally going to run a 1FZ-FE from an 80 but I haven't been able to find a combo that will allow me to run a dual transfer case except the 3.0 bolt on case from Marks. I'd like to go with a Marlin or Klune. Any ideas what combos will work together? I think I can run the 2F into the H55 and put a Marlin onto that. Anybody know if that's true? I’m also not sure if the 2f will be enough to push 40s though, even with the 5.29s... Any other LC engines that I can get to work with the dual t-case? or any way to get a dual t-case behind a 1FZ-FE?

Second question is on the axles. I was going to run FJ-80 axles front and rear. Seems like the best combo. FF, disks front and rear, biggest birfields. The only problem is that the 80 steering arm position sucks. Pretty hard to get the hydro on there as well. So, I was thinking of running an FJ-60 axle up front with the rear 80 locked diff with the 6 stud knuckles (don't care about the controversy on that one) with longfields and 1 inch spacers. Anybody got a better solution on that one?

I know the thing most of you are thinking is just go all domestic but I don’t want to do that. Just say I’m trying to build the ultimate Land Cruiser. Putting together the best of the breed, or whatever…

Thanks,
Kyon

Last edited:
Any other LC engines that I can get to work with the dual t-case? or any way to get a dual t-case behind a 1FZ-FE?

Marks makes a crawler box that bolts to the back of the 80 series tcase: http://www.marks4wd.com/products/gearmaster/Cruiser-Crawler.htm They also make low range gears (some debate as to which versions of the 80's tcases these fit, search the 80s forum for more info). Both the crawler box and the gears are bank.

X2 on the FJ60- front axle.. they can be built stronger than the 80, without the steering issues.. Build a Hybrid rear axle with a cruiser center section (centerd)..

as far as T-case, i would either do the Minitruck duals, or an aftermarket case, like an Atlas..

Engines and tranny is just your preference.. sounds like a sweet build, keep us updated

projektdotnet, yes you are right. I'd be running the 80 rear in the front.

Moby, the 80 crawler box is the one I was referring to in my original post. It is only a 3:1 and runs $3,500. I think I can do it cheaper and better (read lower).

isotel, thanks for the input. Seems like the FJ-60 front may be the way to go unless someone comes up with a Jewel in the rough. I've read a few things that suggest there may be an FJ-75 alternative but that doesn't seem to be panning out. Need to find a cruiser aficionado overseas...

Kyon

<Here are the guidelines. All Toyota>

This will get you into more trouble than it's worth. Open your mind to other alternatives. You're already maxing out the axles as they weren't designed to handle 40"+ tires & whatever knuckles you run, you still have the stud problem. Adding hydro just elevates the carnage factor. And, grinding on the ring gear just ain't the way to do it. I don't know how you wheel or what trails you run, but look around at other rigs with similar setups, then make an educated decision on your axle choice.

Last edited:
Here is Ben's thread about the raisin, all toyota running 44's currently getting a 4.7 v8.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=553236

Slee is now making hysteer arms for the 80 axles, Two trucks in our group are running them, give Christo or Ben a call to get the info :)

Toyota axles, when built, will hold up to 40s, every truck in homegrown has at least 40's except me. Granted all the trucks are fairly lite.

What I would do if I were you, is to build a "highpower" propane 2F, choice of high compression, or turbo. use an h41/ toybox/split case fj80 axles or diamond housing.

Last edited:
If I wanted a domestic truck I'd just go buy one... There are plenty of folks running 40s on LC axles and I'll be running Longfields up front. I've talked to Bobby and he seems to think it would work even with the smaller 60 birfields. He's even willing to put a lifetime warranty behind his opinion (as is true for anyone). I'm also looking into having the knuckle and steering arms keyed to alleviate the stud problem. Not sure what you are talking about with the grinding on the ring gear comment...?? Bottom line is that I'm not going domestic and if that gets me into more trouble than it's worth, so be it.

When opening your mind, there are some lines that shouldn't be crossed... ;)

Thanks bustanutley,

Only problem with that setup is I want a 5 speed. Do you know if the toybox will mount to an H55?

Christo had about the Slee arms in another thread but they may still be a little low for the hydro ram. I'd like to get that up as high as I can since it will be in the front. Those guys don't have any problems with the smaller 80 ring gear? Do you happen to know what ratios they are running in the third?

Any links to the 2F build? I was already doing research on going to propane. I haven't been able to find much on building up the 2F though.

Thanks for the info

I’m not sure about the h55, but it bolts to a split case right? So I’m guessing that adapter should work. All diff ratios, except Shamu are stock 4.1s the lower ratio aftermarket stuff didn’t hold up in the 8” rears, everyone swapped to 4.1 and are holding up well. Shamu’s is running 5.29s but the frontend was making bad noise in Montrose nothing had been done to it since.

Her is a link on propane=>2F
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=114654

And Andrewfarmers ripping propane 2F rebuild
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=61396

I would keep it simple as I can ..

Hipo 2F turbo, compresion, propane .. wathever you want .. you choose.

Rear 80 axle FF disck .. nice setup .. front 60 series axle Hsteer, studs .. 6 or 4 same ..

My advice come with 30 splines set from BLong and I'm not go with full hydro, with a steering box and ram asist you can keep the cargage controled ( at least more than with a full hydro setup )

At least you can run a H42 or H55F ( if you found a nice deal ) and wait Marlin to finish the Toy Box for H55F.

:D my .0000002 cents

Talked to some guys at Marlin Crawler - they have the output shaft for the H55F so you can run the Toyobx behind an H55F. Exiled has an H55F, Toybox, & Split Case in his Cruiser. It just makes for a long drivetrain.

The 4 linked front only makes sense if I do the hydro...

Anybody have an opinion on having the knuckle and steering arm milled so a key could be installed? I know there are some out there that are already moving that direction so I guess I could just wait for those to come out and use the stock knuckles in the mean time.

Any more info on the toybox for the H55? You say he's working on it?

I talked to them back in maybe November of last year and they said they had them available. I believe the only difference in the H41/H42 and the H55F Toybox is the output shaft that you have to change out in the transmission itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom