FJ-40 Buggy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Kicking this idea around in my mellon for a tube buggy... Need some input... Goals are:

Lightweight
Reliable
Able to do mud and rocks/snow

Fj-40 Front clip/Firewall/tub, rest tube like most out there

2 1/2 ton rockwells front/rear, detroit locker f/r

39.5 boggers, probably bigger tire in the future but 39.5's for now

Definatly a stick, wether it is a 4 speed SM465/Chevy Tcase or Toyota 5 speed/toyota Tcase, (Possibly Toyota LC 4 speed and tcase)

Part I am kicking around is the engine/Tranny combo. I have a Toyota 22re Turbo/toyota 5speed tranny that rebuilt would probably be ultra reliable and create decent HP/TQ and with the rockwell gearing (6 something I think) should turn 39's pretty easy. or Chevy 400 I have now with the sm465

Think in something like that the 4 cyl would be a good choice?

Pros I can think of are
Reliability
parts
Fuel consumption
EFI

Any one else think the 22re would be a good choice or I am nutz.

:beer:

Lightweight?

Looks like some pretty heavy gear there....

you don't need rockwells to turn those tires with that engine. you'll want double tcases with a 4 banger

22re+2 1/2ton rockwells=bad idea in my thinking. go with a sbc! power under the throttle is good :p

the 22re turbo is plenty happy to rev but the problem is that the is very little torque/hp ready to roll. I always liked the idea of using a ford 300 inline six with efi (i am just waiting for my dads truck to ru.st to pieces). lots od torque and it can be built for solid hp as well. They are neary bulletproof as long as you don't take the revs too high. you can find a whole truck that has a 300 for cheap.

Yeap the 4 cyl idea is probably not going to happen, I think am going to go chevy 350

I just scored a set of rockwells, so I am trying to figure out what to build around them.

Problem is I want to go to 44's or bigger after the 39's are done.

Anyone know of anyone in WI that has spare parts around for the rockwells, or even complete rockwell's for sale? Thanks

[quote author=weigellj link=board=12;threadid=11122;start=msg101998#msg101998 date=1076354929]

Anyone know of anyone in WI that has spare parts around for the rockwells, or even complete rockwell's for sale? Thanks
[/quote]

John probably would if he does not have the parts himself. Great guy.

http://www.midwestmil.com/

Good luck!

-Steve

they are built in wisconsin aren't they?

[quote author=cavsfj40 link=board=12;threadid=11122;start=msg102129#msg102129 date=1076368983]
they are built in wisconsin aren't they?
[/quote]

Where?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom