Fj 40 and K&N pan type air filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

K

keg

I have an FJ40 with a 2F 4.5 litre engine. I want to put a pan type air filter on instead of the standerd version.

Is this possible, if so what happens to the pipes that go into the standard version ?

You will have to figure out a way to get fresh air to those pipes.
I do not like open, pan type air cleaners. They suck hot air causing you to lose effeciency, and are more prone to clog and let water etc through.

I believe a K & N filter element is available. I run them on my "Burb and my F150 PU and I'm pleased, but both are elements that replace the stock filter.
:)Ed Long

Thanks for the info.

I have another question. I have had some kind of emission control system in the F2 engine. Is this necessary and also my fj40 is backfiring a lot since i put extractors on, what do you think it is ?

How do you do the timing ? i have set it to be on the spot with the timing light.

It depends, do you have smog police for your age vehicle where you live?
Also, don't go just ripping crap off, read tech and do some research, and see what should/can be removed and how.

Sorry for the dumb question, but what are extractors?

Also, my 77 has a catalytic converter on it. It was not built with one and according to Colorado law, I don't have to have it on since it was not standar equip for that year. I'm guessing my FJ40 was in a state that had harder laws for a while. Listen to CruisinGA!

extractors are another name for exhaust manifold. They are to improve the preformance

K&N makes a filter that fits the factory air cleaner, Ive got one in mine and it works well b/c it retains the cold air draw from the radiator. I picked up the filter from JT Outfitters, but pepboys can probably order one for you just as easily and you will get it in a more timely manner.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom