FJ 40 2 F oil recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1978FJ 40. The motor has been rebuilt prior to me purchasing it. I am ready for my first oil change. I’m not sure what weight and brand of oil that was used. Can anyone advise on brand and weight? Also whether zinc should be added to the oil? I Purchased this last summer from Andrew in Jackson Mississippi. He is not sure what the engine rebuilder used. Thanks.

10w-30, from any name brand.
the zinc content is debatable.
the truth is, these are low compression, low reving tractor engines.
personally i prefer traditional dead dino oil vs synthetic. i like rotella's brand but that's mostly due to just having used it for so many years.
really, no name from wallyworld would work just fine, these motors just aren't that picky.

Last edited:
Conventional 10w 30, a little lighter in the winter maybe..usually makes little difference imo

Welcome to the forum and may I be the first to give you our official salute to newbies. 🖕 My best recommendation would be to make good use of the search function above. Oil brands, weights and additives has been discussed so many times over the years that a lot of folks simply tire of responding on the subject. Zinc is important of course for the flat tappet cams either in the oil or by additives. Everyone has their opinions and favorite brands. I'm in Miami where it don't get cold. I use "This Oil" and "This Additive" And here's a long but good read on oil. "Oil Brands and Protection"

10w-30, from any name brand.
the zinc content debatable.
the truth is, these are low compression, low reving tractor engines.
personally i prefer traditional dead dino oil vs synthetic. i like rotella's brand but thats mostly due to just from using it for some many years.
really, no name from wallyworld would work just fine, these motors just arn't that picky.
Thank you for your response

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom