fixing the rattles - doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.crawlorado.com
Now that the top is off, i figured most my rattles would go away, NOPE!

over the sound of my leeking side exit exhaust and my 35 Biasply Swampers the constant rattling drives me insane!!!! :mad:

the windows rattle, the doors rattle, the tailgate rattles, my spare tire carryer rattles..

My Strikers are adjusted all the way in, but my Latches are all worn out, and i dont think there is any Felt in the Windows anymore.. So my Question is, Will new latches and Felt and Seals fix all this?? Who makes the best Latches, Seals, Window felts.. (this is not a restoration) im just sick of the rattling..

i drive my cruiser every day , its my only vehicle

Yes, indeed, weatherstripping and window felts made a huge difference for me. There are a number of suppliers out there; after using Specter's myself and seeing CCOT's products on another cruiser, it seems to me, generic products could work just as well. The bows are a source of rattles in my soft-topped cruiser, fixed that partly by cable ties and by using foam insulation (the stuff available at hardware stores for pipes); also useful is rubber mat from a hardware store. A process of elimination one-by-one. Claudia

yes, felt and seals will make a huge difference. for the stock hard doors, try putting in the factory seals, expensive but well worth it. For other rattles you can get foam tape from hard stores and on screws, bolts etc you can get plastic washers as well.

Noah

Not sure what tire carrier you have, but I was never able to get the rattling out of mine (1970 on passanger side). I do have a full size spare (35X12.5) I finally gave up on the stock carrier. My new one only mounts to the frame, and now no more noise. I have OE window felts, and CCOT door weather strip, and most of my rattling is gone. Just have to work on the back doors now.

isotel said:
Now that the top is off, i figured most my rattles would go away, NOPE!

over the sound of my leeking side exit exhaust and my 35 Biasply Swampers the constant rattling drives me insane!!!! :mad:

the windows rattle, the doors rattle, the tailgate rattles, my spare tire carryer rattles..

My Strikers are adjusted all the way in, but my Latches are all worn out, and i dont think there is any Felt in the Windows anymore.. So my Question is, Will new latches and Felt and Seals fix all this?? Who makes the best Latches, Seals, Window felts.. (this is not a restoration) im just sick of the rattling..

i drive my cruiser every day , its my only vehicle

Have you forgot that this vehicle is almost 30 years old????

:rolleyes:

Sell it, and purchase a tdi Jetta....

-----OR-----

Sink some real monies into OEM latches, strikers, bushings, weatherstrip, etc. and go to town.

Good luck!

-Steve

windows

Does anyone make a window seal thats anything other than the felt variety? I was gonna order some stuff from Summit but not sure if it will work!
I figured if I could find some rubber seals that might help with rust damage on the interior of the doors (already spent too much time repairin the damn pannels).

Peace
Neal

RUFj40crazy - CCOT has them OEM TOYota stuff http://store.yahoo.com/coolfj40/winchanfj19t.html

Poser - No the Rattles and rust are a constant reminder of the age.. Im a Broke ass College Student, i think i will buy the cheep ones and replace as nessisary.. Had a jetta, sold it =)

I think i will build a Tire Carrier instead of messing with the oem one..

isotel said:
I think i will build a Tire Carrier instead of messing with the oem one..

Like this....

http://man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/towbumperHDtirecoolercarrierFJ404Plus.htm

I LOVE MINE!!! ;)

20050501-T-23.jpg

If your talking about a 76, update the window felt to an 82 or newer model. much more user friendly than the earlier chrome bound felts. Later models roll right in in half the time, work twice as well, and beat the aftermarket stuff x10.

good post, I'm new to this forum, but have been on the pirate site since 2002, I just drove my 78FJ40 from CA to NC. After that distance I still have nightmares about the rattles embeded in my brain. Mostely, they come from the rear ambulance doors which I believe is compounded by my original spare tire carrier that has a 35" tire on it. Any suggestions on rear doors would be greatly appreiciated.. :)

Last edited:
I have a 2007 FJ Cruizer and the doors are starting too rattle any ideas?

also have take off wheels/tires and shocks and springs , can they be used on any of the other toyotas
4runner truck etc.

On the older models I weld on 1/4 inch angle on the top of the door where the window goes down into the door. It helps stiffen the doors and eliminate breakage. Plus it gives your arms a little more door upon which to rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom