Fixing Cracked Hood Wind Deflector? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys -

I've got a wind / bug deflector mounted on the hood of my LX450. It's got a crack in the plastic (luckily only goes 3/4 of the way down). [photos below]

Before I start glopping on JB Weld, wanted to check: Does anyone have a quick / preferred fix method for plastics like this in a nice way?

Thanks,
- Spencer

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 11.08.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 11.08.06 PM.png

I had that same issue with my 94. I fixed it by lifting the hood and removing the screws, prying the bug shield off and tossing it into the trash.
Sorry if that doesn’t help, I couldn’t help myself. I really don’t know any ways to mend old plastic to not make it look worse than before. Maybe just some clear super glue? It’ll probably break again with the vibrations and wind deflection.

Lmao thanks Pred - don't you like the look?

FYI - I'm thinking a couple dabs of this epoxy might do the trick: Amazon Link -- it's black, but maybe clear would be better 🤷‍♂️

Thanks,
- Spence

I think it looks better without it. Also, are those really affective? Maybe, in either case, mine was rubbing on my hood and wore into my paint so my decision was easy.

I think those bugs shields are effective, but yes, they make the front look a bit funky, on the other hand they protect the paint of the hood from road gravel kicked up by the vehicle in front of you.

Example: my 96 model never had a bug shield and the nose of the hood has dozens of stone chips in the paint, the 95 model I picked up recently which had the bug shield has none. However depending on how they're attached they can rub into the paint or cause rust if the attachment mounts screw go into sheet metal.

AFAIK there's no way to fix that type of plastic and make it look good. Maybe a strip of single sided foam tape, apply from the back-side of the crack?? Or, find another bug shield to replace the old one.

FWIW I bumped into the ends of the bug shield on the 95 model while working on the head gasket, twice, and snapped both sides off, at least they broke off sorta at the same point. :hillbilly:

What kind of plastic is it? I have had good success with the JB Weld Plastic Bond. There is a clear and an amber version, doesn't have to be black.

Thanks guys - appreciate the ideas.

What kind of plastic is it? I have had good success with the JB Weld Plastic Bond. There is a clear and an amber version, doesn't have to be black.

Believe it's Acrylic plastic. ABS and Nylon are opaque and polycarb is indestructible

Thanks guys - appreciate the ideas.

Believe it's Acrylic plastic. ABS and Nylon are opaque and polycarb is indestructible
^^^^

It is. And its got a gap that you won't be able to fill with any of the adhesives made for acrylics. IF aesthetics are important to you, replace it.

IF you just want to prevent it from self destructing the rest of the way, I'd use something flexible (silicone). But honestly....it takes all of 5 minutes to replace one.

Quick Update for posterity:

I filled the gap with JB Weld for Plastic (Black).
- Held it together with tape, and cure overnight.
- Today sanded it town, progressively from 120 grit to 3000 grit, with a lil' water.

Pretty happy. Here's the results:

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 1.48.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 1.48.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 1.48.54 AM.png

Thanks,
- Spence

Sorry for high jacking your thread. But do have any photos of the accessories for this? I got a buddy that gave me his old one but it only came with the bolts. The specific nuts for it are all gone. Do you know what its called or at least a photo of it so I can look for it in a hardware store? Thanks

Sorry for high jacking your thread. But do have any photos of the accessories for this? I got a buddy that gave me his old one but it only came with the bolts. The specific nuts for it are all gone. Do you know what its called or at least a photo of it so I can look for it in a hardware store? Thanks
Here are some photos of the parts.

E0244012-C06A-47F8-BE41-44A76CFE40F6.jpeg
CC456A94-6023-43FE-A06A-0A6A845686C7.jpeg
CE8BE7BC-180A-47DF-A2A1-1A7386354429.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom