Fixing a stuck odometer on 1982 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

Miss Scarlet was turning over 112K on the odometer when it hung up. The mile digit will try to click over to zero but return to 9. Speedometer functions as normal. I found baas thread on "Fixing the stuck odometer (with pics)". Miss Scarlet has led a sheltered three adult owner life. So, rust, corrosion and dirt shouldn't be a big issue. I'm inclined to just pull the spindle and soak it in degreaser and spray white lithium grease into it as per the thread rather than disassemble the whole spindle.​

So, a couple of questions... Anybody have any update on this procedure? And what is the best plastic friendly degreaser for the job?

I disassembled and lubed mine but if you're going to leave it assembled I think electronic contact cleaner would be good to degrease and I would also use a Teflon spray lube to keep things spinning.

When I took mine apart, it appeared the grease that Toyota used had solidified, thus "freezing" the rotating disks to the spindle.

I suppose that a lubricant that could dissolve the solidified lube could do the trick.

My input is to be careful what you spray in the wheels. Some degreasers and things like wd40 will take the numbers right off the wheels.

The grease used by Toyota does turn to glue after a while. So I always remove all the wheels and clean everything with soapy water. Then a lite touch of 3in1 or a silicone lubricant.

I had those issues and to my surprise there is a bunch of info out there on fixing the cluster and odometer. Search MUD of course, but the “Google” has all kinds of leads into cleaning and repair.

one example……..

devo

Thanks for the video link. I bookmarked it.

Now you guys are going to have to not kick my butt on this. But I did a hillbilly fix on my problem. Ever heard of just "jiggle the handle"? I disassembled the cluster, but couldn't get the pin loose securing the spindle. So, what the heck I just connected the speedo to a drill with the right square bit and massaged the spindle as the turned. Well, it clicked over to 112K followed by the correct 0s. Guess I'm all set until Miss Scarlet clicks over another 1K. If it hangs up then, I guess I'll followed the video instructions or jiggle the handle again. But that will be at least a year out. Just kick the can down the road...

Old thread but figured this is a good place for the info.
91% isopropyl alcohol worked great to free up the old lube. For me, it did not affect the paint on the dials. I use it in a wee spray bottle and slowly work the dials free. Took a few applications as I didn’t want to (couldn’t) disassemble the odo wheels.
Teflon lube for the lube.

HTH someone down the road.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom