Fix or replace rear bumper on 2016? Looking for suggestions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched through all the threads and haven't come across anyone in the same situation so I figured I'd reach out and see if anyone had any suggestions.

Over the last year, I've accumulated enough damage on the stock rear bumper on my 2016 that it's now time to address it. It's a mix of scrapes from wheeling and dings from parking lots. A quick visit to the local body shop and they indicated that it would require a complete replacement of the rear bumper. I think the cost would be similar to getting an aftermarket bumper so I wanted to do some research to see if there are any options out there that might be a good fit. I do fair amount of off roading but the LC is still the main family car too so my criteria are:

1. Lightweight - ideally made of aluminum but it's not a hard requirement.
2. Don't need swingouts. I'd love the extra clearance from moving the spare, but since it's still the family car, I don't want to make it harder than necessary to get into the rear hatch.
3. Ability to relocate backup sensors. I actually couldn't find any bumpers that support this. Am I overthinking it? I don't want to lose that functionality but it seems like it just might not be possible to keep it with an aftermarket bumper.

Thank you!

sok2004-1.jpg

How about the Dissent rear bumper. Made of aluminum and steel and takes sensors. Can go without swingout and add it later.

I went through this identical decision tree. In the end I decided to go with a Slee rear bumper (steel with swing outs). I had gotten down to deciding between Dissent and Slee and my wife preferred the Slee so that was easy :rofl:

The deciding factor for swing out vs non-swing out was the mounting of a large LRA tank. We have been making trips into the desert and fuel management was always at the forefront of our decision making. Carrying a ridiculous amount of fuel in a LRA tank will solve that issue.

Unfortunately the steel bumpers are not in stock (currently) at Slee - my understanding was that the Aluminum non-swing bumper was going to be available first...

Kaymar should be considered as well, though I have no idea about availability at the moment.

I was in a similar situation and decided to replace the bumper cover via Painted OEM Parts - https://www.paintedoemparts.com/. I was pretty happy with the service and the quality of the paint job. I paid something like $1200 for both a front and rear bumper cover. At the time, there wasn't a rear bumper on the market yet that I liked and my bumper cover was damaged enough that I couldn't even use the leftover bits when the steel bumper would have gone on.

In hindsight, I would have been money ahead to make a rear bumper one of my first mods (had one been available) after buying a replacement bumper cover plus $1500+ in other parts I damaged (combination lights, trailer harness, sensors, etc.).

Last edited:
I would definitely get an aftermarket bumper. There are quite a few options. Slee and Dissent both offer bumpers without swing outs and both can be added later. Dissent and Slee both offer aluminum options (I think). The problem with repairing the OEM bumper is that it will most certainly keep getting damaged. It's just too easy.

16+ week wait for a Dissent. No idea on Slee, but would be surprised if there wasn’t a long wait.

I'd go ahead and spend the money on an aftermarket unit. Slee and Dissent are the only two I'd consider for the rear.

Arb has a swingless rear. RLC can be ordered swing less. These are both steel.

Hi guys, the Slee aluminum rear is just getting buttoned up and assembled into kits over the next couple weeks. We’ll have a batch hitting stock soon. Keep your eye peeled on the website or toss your email into the website under this bumper to be notified when stock becomes available. No bs, just a single email letting you know that they are in stock.

Cheers!

Thanks! Any update on projected stock of steel bumpers?

Negative. They hit the website and they are just gone. Best thing to do is to put your name into the website and wait for the email. I wish I had better news on that one, we just can’t get them fast enough :(.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! The Slee and Dissent options both look awesome. Taking a deeper look at both and will hopefully get an order placed soon. Pics to follow (eventually...)

Hey everyone, Filip from Dissent Off-road here. Thank you to everyone who mentioned our bumper!

We have the most extensive experience designing aluminum armor for Land Cruisers that can stand to the rigors of off-road use. In fact we only offer aluminum (hybrid) products for the 200 series.

We design and manufacture everything in-house to our extremely high standards. Yes, we have a long lead time (which we are actively reducing) but we feel our products have some exemplary features worth mentioning. All our products are tested off-road and backed by a lifetime warranty against structural defects.

I know the OP said swing arms are not desired but in our experience, most customers eventually order swing arms, and ours have a number of features worth noting

Dissent 200 series modular rear bumper features
  • Reinforced with aluminum gusseting and steel bracing to give our bumpers superior strength by properly distributing load throughout the entire bumper away from the weld joints and to the frame. This really becomes key when adding swing arms.
  • Our modular design allows the wings to be slid in from the side allowing larger end caps for strength and limiting the opening in the rear wheel well. The modular design also gives you the ultimate in adjustment to ensure perfect fitment and no large body gaps
  • Dual sheer swing out hinge allows for better bumper clearance over a traditional weld in spindle also giving you a more rigid swingarm that doesn’t rattle or shake.
  • Easy open, slam shut, gas strut assisted swing arms
  • Full suite of accessories for both driver and passenger swing arms: camp kitchen, tire carrier w/ tray table, accessory panel mounts, jerry can tray, storage tray, secondary tow hitch receiver for bike racks, and more!
  • Supports factory backup sensors.
  • Provisions for combo lights (turn, brake, reverse) or can be blanked off if not required
  • The camera relocation bracket gives you the best OEM-like visibility showing the trailer hitch in full view
  • Trailer Towing Features: Our design relocates the 7-pin connector and provides easy access to factory safety chain hooks
  • 50/50 dual swing arms allow opening even when towing
  • 100% Made in the USA
If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

200-rear-001.jpg

200-rear-002.jpg

200-rear-003.jpg

200-rear-004.jpg

200-rear-005.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom