Five years and finally on the road! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As previously mentioned on Mudd back in 2016, I purchased my 2/71 FJ40 from pretty much the original owner (he owned it since '73) after seeing it sitting on flat tires beneath a pepper tree. The owner was raking his front yard when I approached him and asked if he ever considered selling his "Jeep." He immediately corrected me and informed me that it was a Landcruiser. I told him I was looking for a project to do with my son (12 years old at the time) and began negotiations. He told me it needed alot of work and someone needed to know how to work on cars to get it running. I informed him that I was good with a wrench (I did not share with him that the extent of my wrenching was pretty much driveway oil changes) and would like to get it going again. We eventually agreed on a price and I borrowed a friend's trailer to get it back home. And so began the five year journey...

Initially, I had grand plans to do a frame-off restomod. However, I talked to a friend who did a frame-off restomod of an early Bronco, and he explained that he dumped so much money into that he was afraid to wheel it, as it was now worth close to $100K. I decided I wanted to use the FJ and did not want to go broke in the process. Since the FJ had not run in 10-15 years, we began researching the internet on what to do. We pulled the plugs, soaked the cylinders with Marvel's Mystery Oil, and were eventually able to turn the engine by hand. With the help of a generous neighbor, who happens to be an FJ owner and enthusiast , we got the engine running momentarily. Over the next few years, my son and I rebuilt the drum brakes, master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch cylinder, knuckles, hubs, wheel bearings, radiator, thermostat, waterpump, fuel/air filters, brakelines, and countless other items. Life then got in the way... high school football, house remodeling, building of a workshop/garage, increased workload at work, and caring for an ill family member. However, we continued to whittle away at the project when time permitted.

Fearing the project may never get completed, I decided to jump start it by outsourcing the carb rebuild. Fortunately, Mark's Offroad is within driving distance of us, so I dropped it off with him and he worked his carb magic. When I hooked up the carb for the first time and fired it up, it purred like a cat! My son's initial look of shock quickly turned to a huge smile before we had the celebratory garage high-five. That gave us the momentum we need and I ordered a complete OME 2.5 lift kit/shocks from Cruiser Outfitters. (What nice folks at Cruiser Outfitters!) We decided to keep the original wheels/caps and put 33" BF Goodwrench K02 ATs all around. I then decided to dive into the electrical, as nothing was working except for a small map light over the driver's shoulder. I took the dremmel with small wire brush attachments to all the fuses and connections. Believe it or not, pretty much everthing (including the wipers) now work! (The only things that don't are the emergency flashers and the license plate lamp).

Now that the vehicle was roadworthy, I decided to take the wife for a ride. As I drove down the road, my wife's first words were "this is kind of a noisy car." We then drove over the multiple speed bumps on our street. Her second comment was "this is sure a bumpy ride." As we got up to speed on the highway, I decided to open the cowl vent... unfortunately, that was one of the few things I did not clean out. Moments later, a decade of old leaves and deteriorated black rubber blew all over her white pants! When we pulled back into the driveway, she said, "That was.... real nice..." I told her it may drive like a tractor, but it sure has character!

Thanks to all of you who take time to share your valuable insight on the forum, especially Coolerman! My son and I have learned so much from this project and made memories that will last forever.

Now if I can only figure out why it started idling rough this morning... Guess it is always going to be something...

20210614_185458.jpg
20160328_121016.jpg

That is a great looking truck.
Best part is when you say " going to the grocery store, want to come" your wife will never say yes.

Great 40 and great story. Glad you decided to keep it original and get it running and driving. Lot's of 40's get taken apart for a "restoration" and never get reassembled. I laughed out loud reading about your wife's first ride. Mine still hasn't ridden in my 40. ;)

Very Nice 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom