Builds FitzJ60 1983 FJ60 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NookShneer

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
instagram.com
I’ve been lurking and stealing knowledge for the last 6 years from this great forum. Long overdue build thread and hoping to use the motivation to keep the momentum with the build.

I first got introduced to Landcruisers when a good friend @xtiaan2000 asked if I wanted to go skiing. At the time I was living in Southern California. I roll over to his place and we load into his 1976 FJ55. It was an inspiring ride to say the least. I started casually looking possibly 6 month later knowing that I wanted some creature comforts (namely power steering and AC) and when I found a rig pop up on Craigslist I jumped to check it out.

I ended up bringing @xtiaan2000 with me to help take a look at everything as he was more knowledgeable than me with regards to the whole world of LC. Overall, I ended up rolling down to Santa Barbara a few days later and drove the 60 home.

Few days later sitting at home.

IMG_5860.PNG
IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

The first trip we planned was to head up to Kernville which from home was about 200 miles and 4 hour drive away. It was slow going up to lake pyramid on the I-5 but that didn’t really bother me at all. I did start to get a little worried as the stereo started cutting out which let me know that something was up. We didn’t make it much further before I started to pull off the interstate at the next exit. We made it down the ramp when the whole thing died. I coasted off the ramp and pulled over along the side.

After talking with my father on the phone we were able to confirm that the battery was died. He drove out to give us a hand (didn’t know I needed to have AAA yet). This experience confirmed that my father is a much more intelligent man than I had ever given him credit to at that point. Since the Cruiser had died he had assumed that the Alt was the problem. We pulled the Battery from the cruiser and swapped in his battery from the 2003 Ford Focus he drove out to meet us in. Getting the Group 27 battery to fit in the Focus battery tray took some work (removing the batt tray and unbolting the air cleaner box to push it aside). We jumped started the Focus (with the dead cruiser battery) with the Cruiser (which had the Focus Battery) The one good Alt in the focus was able to charge up the cruiser battery and luckily we made the 67 mile ride back on the charged Focus Battery. In theory we could have cycled the batteries another time (possibly) and made it a bit further. I was taught a great lesson by the cruiser that day and may others since then.

The Goal is to continue to work on FitzJ60 and get it to the point of comfortable and capable expo overland trips are possible.

Since owning have replaced:

Cooling system – Radiator, thermostat, hoses, water pump.

Engine - Desmogged, rebuilt carb (Marks off road), Tri-Y headers and 2.5” back cat delete new muffler. 62 3FE 80amp alt installed. 3F carb and air box installed in prep for snorkel. Dizzy recurve, cap rotors wires plugs, valve adjust, timing, coil replaced.

Steering - tierod ends, steering box re-seal by WTOR Powersteering @Orange45’s Saginaw kit with a twist, old smog pump position has a 2nd Alt (60 Amp 2F) still needs to get wired up.

Suspension – OME Heavy/Heavy, new bushings anti inversion shackles, 4Plus ubolt flip plates.

Front axle re-build

Interior – BMW seats up front with TorFab early 60 seat brackets, New front seat belts from SeatbeltPlanet. 62 rear belts installed and re-webbed by SeatbeltPlanet. B-piller replacements, FJ62 lower dash, Front heater core replaced, 62 Fuel Door release.

In the works:

61 series rear split bench

62 center rear heater / Tuffy/Crusiercrap center console

Used H55 / split case with 4:1 gear rebuild

Monstaliner the exterior

Rust repair in C-Channels

Dual Alt/ Battery set-up

Sound deadening

Partial Door cards

Headliner

Winshield replace

Sliding rear windows install.

62 upper dash swap

Underhood LED lighting / interior lighting

80 series rear FF with Harrop locker or Elocker/chilcat cable set-up

Tundra Brakes up Front – Harrop locker Elocker/chilcat cable set-up

Roof rack / RTT

IMG_0808.JPG

530.JPG

IMG_0922.JPG
IMG_1355.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG
Nice! Pics of seatbelts and receptacles? I need to get some and its either 70 series or seatbelt planet.

Rears half with the bench and the bolting. Half with the 61 seats I'm bolting in.

The memory cable is the best when folding or unfolding the rear bench. No trying to hold your arm across the whole bench holding floppy belts in place when you close the damn thing.

Nice nice work Dave! Good chance I'll be out in Everett later this summer for work. Hope to connect.

About time you posted a build thread! You should have kept those sweet gold and silver wheels! What was that little circle thing under the left headlight?

About time you posted a build thread! You should have kept those sweet gold and silver wheels! What was that little circle thing under the left headlight?

I think it was a keyed battery disconnect. I still have it and want to work it into some kind of disconnect somewhere as a security measure.

I think it was a keyed battery disconnect. I still have it and want to work it into some kind of disconnect somewhere as a security measure.
Cool! Sounds like a good idea. I might have to steal that.

Yah! My man. Stoked to see you started a thread. Now I dont have to talk to you anymore. I can just read what's going on with the cruzer. Just kidding. No really, just kidding.
When are you going to at least put some paint on that thing to protect it?!!
Stoked to see you next month.

Yah! My man. Stoked to see you started a thread. Now I dont have to talk to you anymore. I can just read what's going on with the cruzer. Just kidding. No really, just kidding.
When are you going to at least put some paint on that thing to protect it?!!
Stoked to see you next month.

I think interior is going to get set and then the rest will hold off looking mishmashed for awhile and focus on the body work / monstaliner. Kinda been stalling on that because I'm worried about messing it up.

Your engine compartment looks good. What is that block on the power steering resevoir?

Adapter to use the stock 2F power steering pump bracket with the Saginaw pump.

Screw you!! The nicest day of the month and a short trip across town with the boy. Looks like I have another project for tomorrow.

IMG_2808.JPG

Luckily it didn't stop us from making it to dinner.

IMG_2810.JPG

I have a couple ideas for this piece this. This is really far out plan but those two indicators in the center would be changed out for something else.

IMG_2805.JPG

Screw you!! The nicest day of the month and a short trip across town with the boy. Looks like I have another project for tomorrow.

View attachment 1445627

Luckily it didn't stop us from making it to dinner.

View attachment 1445628

I have a couple ideas for this piece this. This is really far out plan but those two indicators in the center would be changed out for something else.

View attachment 1445630
Shoot! Well at least you can easily patch it in your driveway.

IMG_2912.JPG

Got some 70 series parts in this week to see if they would work for the door cards and locker switch. Handles are front handles from mid eighties 70 series front doors. I'm not sure that they will work with the 60 doors without modifications. That's going to be a bit down the road until I make or get a set of partial door cards.

The switch housing fits the bottom portion of the 70 series dash and looks like it could easily retrofit into a 60 series dash. It houses the OEM dash elocked switch.

IMG_2911.JPG

When comparing to the 62 transfer switch switch to the 70 series locker housing the sizes are very close and makes me want to retro fit the transfer switch to fit the Locker shape/blank. Since I have an early 60 with a 62 lower dash (original was full of holes from the PO mounting things) if I could get this to work it would look very clean.

IMG_2805.JPG

I replaced the front seat belts with belts from Seatbelt Planet which the front receiver didn't have a wired sensor for the seatbelt light which got me thinking about using the front two indicators under the RPM for front and rear lockers indicators.

Slow progress on #FitzJ60 the rear HJ61 seat mounting has been a challenge to get bolted in. With the level of frustration with trying to get them bolted in has me wanting to finish the interior so I don't have to unbolt them again.

So crusiercrap 80mil getting ordered, MLV from @red66toy on hand, noico acoustic foam then vinyal flooring. Should be pretty quite after all that.

Also pulling the trigger on a center storage console which will need to play well with the 62 heater.

Headed to socal later this week and hope to roll with @xtiaan2000 and check out @mattressking's rig. Should have parts waiting when I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom