Fitting factory roor rails to non-equipped car (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

The factory rails that I see on most LXs, and a few 80s over there... if I were to get hold of a set, how easy are they to ft to an 80 that was not shipped with them ? It looks like they bolt through the roof, but is there any special provision required (e.g. internal bracing, like the factory rear wheel carier). Is it easy enough, or a PITA in terms of getting access under the headlining for some nuts ?

Thanks in advance - JB

the factory roof racks are generally one of the first things that people remove--- they create invisible rust in the roof, and end up leaking.

do yourself a favor and just get an aftermarket roofrack.

Hi, I did this install the head lining is not to hard to remove, the rack has bolts fixed in the frame so I put masking tape on the roof where the bolts will sit, and after checking the approx position on a factory fitted rig just put the rack on the roof (2 person job) and marked where the bolts sit on the tape and then drill it. Not an easy thing to find, I found mine at Frogs 4x4 via ebay, as they do expedition conversions and the the factory racks get removed. Anyway good luck, mine has been fine since fitting.
Cheers

Oh, forgot to say, i did put a very small amount of silicon sealant around the bottom of the rack rubbers to try and make sure the water does not get in as Sandcruiser said it can be a problem if water get in. But on the other hand having driven a rig with a after market rack on it was a like having a wind whistling machine on the roof, ..ya pays your money and takes your choice..

thanks both... now not sure what to do !

(this was to help protect the roof from trees as I scrape under them, so expedition style not really what I'm after...)

If that is all you are after - I would lay down some weather stripping with adhesive rather than drill into the sheet metal.

If that is all you are after - I would lay down some weather stripping with adhesive rather than drill into the sheet metal.

Now that's an idea... I guess it's kinda like the bumper corner rub strips you can get...

Factory roof rack is total pile of junk and using silicone is NOT a good idea. Silicone invites rust. Go gutter mount and don't look back.

thanks both... now not sure what to do !

(this was to help protect the roof from trees as I scrape under them, so expedition style not really what I'm after...)

Don't install the "factory" rack (port installed option in the US market.) I think Mr T would be embarrassed that those things were installed by drilling holes and using nut-serts in the roof of his truck. They are only rated at 150lbs so they don't carry much weight. They will also cause rust on trucks just about anywhere. My truck lived 100% of its life in New Mexico where there is low humidity and rust is not a problem. There was still some minor rust in the holes they drilled and the nutserts, plus the pads wear through the paint. Mine was removed after 5 years and the pads wore down to the primer.

-B-

If I were wanting to use a roof rack I would go with the Baja roof rack. It is low profile and light like the "factory version" but it won't mar your roof in the same way. A big plus is that you can take it off when you don't need it.

I just fought to get my "factory version" off and I am still in the process in finishing the bodywork to fix the aftermath.

tks for the advice guys, will go the the thick plastic/rubber strips to aleviate this particular problem..

tks for the advice guys, will go the the thick plastic/rubber strips to aleviate this particular problem..

Stubborn guy aren't you?

If you are going to do the rubber pads the look for posts long, long ago here on 'Mud by landtank. He came up with a solution and might even have a set for sale.

:cheers:
-B-

Stubborn guy aren't you?

If you are going to do the rubber pads the look for posts long, long ago here on 'Mud by landtank. He came up with a solution and might even have a set for sale.

:cheers:
-B-
I think you may have misunderstood me (or I you).. I'm not talking about the factory roof rack - I've ditched that idea based on feedback on this thread.

I'm going instead for thick rubber/plastic bumper rub strips that I'll simply tape to the roof longtitudionally. Not really sure how else to describe it - they run along the pressed out raised sectiosn of the roof.

will search for Rick's post to see if that sheds any more light on your comments....

Ahh, this one: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/39317-roof-rack-seals-finally.html

Nope not doing that, not doing any roof rack !

Cheers - JB

Last edited:
I think you may have misunderstood me

I probably misunderstood you. :D

I'm still not sure why you would want the rack strips since they also have to be secured to the roof using nutserts that will rust. You could use some of that heavy tape (3M is a supplier) that is used on steps and on ladders. It is quite durable as I've had some on my sliders for ~6 years now. It wouldn't require any screws and should protect your roof as well as the rack strips.

Some guys have those strips covered with Line-X.

-B-

I probably misunderstood you. :D

I'm still not sure why you would want the rack strips since they also have to be secured to the roof using nutserts that will rust. You could use some of that heavy tape (3M is a supplier) that is used on steps and on ladders. It is quite durable as I've had some on my sliders for ~6 years now. It wouldn't require any screws and should protect your roof as well as the rack strips.

Some guys have those strips covered with Line-X.

-B-

I don't think he is talking about the stock strips either. He mentioned stick-on, I think it is a good plan. Someone posted what theirs looked like with line-X painted patterns covering up the marks from removing the stock ones - that looked pretty cool too.

I don't think he is talking about the stock strips either.

I hate these threads that drag on for 10+ days and ya gotta reread the whole thread to figure out what the OP is thinking 'cause he doesn't quote prior replies from others to keep everything in context.

Or maybe I'm just gettin' too damn old. :D

-B-

as Sean says ;)

Tell you what, when I get round to it (summer time for the adhesive to work properly), I'll just do a piccy, and save 1000 words !:D

And be sure to post back in this thread after it is 6 months old so I'll have to read everything again... for the 3rd time. :flipoff2:

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom