Fitting 35's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How much lift would it take for me to clear 35's on an 80 series Land Cruiser? My budget is 1500 for the lift kit. Can someone please recommend me a good quality lift kit. My main activites include mudding, trail riding, and rock crawling. It's fine if I rub a little while flexing but help me find a good lift kit for under $1500.

I'm running a fairly weighted 80 with an OME 2.5" heavy lift.
I have no fender flares and 315's. I have very minimal rub, and the setup works very nice.

How much lift would it take for me to clear 35's on an 80 series Land Cruiser? My budget is 1500 for the lift kit. Can someone please recommend me a good quality lift kit. My main activites include mudding, trail riding, and rock crawling. It's fine if I rub a little while flexing but help me find a good lift kit for under $1500.

x2 on Slee but for your purposes (mudding, trail riding, and rock crawling) the OME 2.5" kit may not be enough and then you are talking a lot more $$ for the 4" or 6" lift. Christo can give you all the insight you need :)

Slee offroad seems a bit pricey, any other company out there. Concince me I can clear 35's under 1500 on an 80 or I will probably buy a 4runner and sas it. I love the 80, and that would be my first choice.

Do you have any accessories like bumpers or sliders. Thats important for knowing how much effective lift so you won't have drive train problems. I have bumpers, dual batts, a supercharger and rear drawer setup and run J's front a rear with L shocks. Most OME setups can be had for about $700 for the parts. Probably about 3-4 hours in the shop to install.

If you don't have a lot of accessoies to weigh you down, you might want to go with the OME heavies. Talk to Ben or Christo at Slee with what you have and what you want and they will help you. That's part of their customer service and why so many buy from them.

Slee offroad seems a bit pricey, any other company out there. Concince me I can clear 35's under 1500 on an 80 or I will probably buy a 4runner and sas it. I love the 80, and that would be my first choice.

His 4" setups are a bit pricey due to the arms and everything else needed for 4"'s. His price on OME is the same or similar to others. An OME lift should be fine for you. You could also call Kurt at cruiseroutfitters or Man-a-fre as they all sell OME's and I think their prices are all very comparable.

You get what you pay for...There are any number of places/dealers that sell the OME lifts (Slee, Man-a-fre to name a couple). Slee has their 4" and 6" lifts. Then there is Frankies Off Road (FOR) that sells I think a 3" lift.

If you do a search and some research you'll find LOTS of information here that should answer your questions. I assume that you base your $1500 on the idea that you can SAS a newer 4Runner?

I wanna run a winch bumper and a winch in the front, rocker guards, and maybe a light duty rear bumper.

I decided to be a guinea pig instead of a sheep and bought an Ironman lift from ebay. The price was right so even if it sucks I’m not out too bad. However, I think was worth every penny. I definitely got at least 2” of lift past what the owners manual says the ride height is. it rides just the way a big SUV should ride, in my opinion, a little stiff but not bone jarring. At $400 including shipping and castor correction that looks just like Slee’s blue bushings. The big draw back I can see is that the shocks are only about 1-1.5 inches longer than stock.

Hope this helps. I will also start a thread about it with pictures as soon as I figure out how to shrink them

I run the FOR kit on true 35's.

Slee is ultimately more expensive in a kit because you are replacing more parts (brakelines, panhards, caster correction) - this isn't money wasted. Read up on caster correction. For a no-frills rock crawling setup I can't recommend the FOR kit more highly if you are looking to also minimize lift for 35's, but with high end progressive rate springs and Bilstein shocks, it will be at the upper limit of your budget.

Nothing in the 80 world is inexpensive compared to say Jeeps. You can get bumpers that cost over $2K, but that stuff isn't necessary. Start with the lift you want for 35's and then you can work the other stuff...but you will need sliders if you crawl. 80's are just too big to get away without them.

Bottom line is 3" of lift is plenty to run 35's depending on your goals, and the more you are after the "expedition" style the more you want to move towards the full 4"+ kit to handle the weight. But the base platform can handle 35's out of the box and there is huge value in that.
Spring Creek Rock Garden.JPG

It's true that about 3" of lift will allow you to run 35's. I am running J springs up front and standard OME lift springs in the rear along with 35 x 12.50 15's (yes 15 inch rims off of my 40). They fit well and only rub when I (or my daughter) really flexes the truck.

Bottom line, if you use 3" or more of lift you will have enough room for 35's. To limit rubbing at full flex you can also extend the bump stops.

Rich

Here's what I will do. I will first get the lift [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]J-Series Replacement Suspension 3.5"-4" Lift - $765.00 than I will get extended brake lines, bumpstops, 1" spacers, adjustable something weld on style on my contro arms so I can rotate the pinion angle, and than 35x12.5 Trxus Mud Terrains. That sounds about right? I have not gotten the Land Cruiser yet but I got 7500 and I got my eyes wide open. Hopefully I can find something with factory lockers f&r.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Here's what I will do. I will first get the lift [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]J-Series Replacement Suspension 3.5"-4" Lift - $765.00 than I will get extended brake lines, bumpstops, 1" spacers, adjustable something weld on style on my contro arms so I can rotate the pinion angle, and than 35x12.5 Trxus Mud Terrains. That sounds about right? I have not gotten the Land Cruiser yet but I got 7500 and I got my eyes wide open. Hopefully I can find something with factory lockers f&r.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Another option: J springs F&R, Slee's caster plates to correct front caster, and longer front brake lines x 2 from NAPA (https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=917151). Lower your bump stops 1.25" - 1.5", depending on when your tires rub (use a ramp). Extend your diff breathers using fuel tubing. Keep the stock front control arm bushings, which flex better than the OME caster-correcting poly ones. Convert all shock mounts to eye type (vice pin-mount), so you can use less expensive long-travel shocks. For an extra 1" of lift, you could add spacers, which may (or may not...) put you over the edge for vibrations, or you could install a 1" body lift from Roger Brown (http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml#Applications). The body lift would allow you to use less bump-stop extension, move your sliders and bumpers up, and tuck the exhaust above the frame rail.

All in all, assuming you fab your own bump stops and shock mounts, you're looking at around $700, including the body lift.

I had the TrXus MTs for three years and was very happy with them. They wear quickly and are tough to balance, but the sidewalls are very thick, the traction is excellent, and they're very reasonably priced.

You will end up with a vehicle that will embarrass a lot of Jeeps on many obstacles, but you will be limited by the overall vehicle size (depending on how much body damage you're willing to accept). Hope that helps.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom