Fitness for Veterans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very cool story! Congrats on the change.

I too am in the same category of starting / stopping various exercise / eating programs. Now I am just trying to get several walks in a day, while monitoring my caloric intake. I too have lower back problems, but it was my knees that stopped me from running. The impact would jar my knees to the point of multiple day pain afterwards. Walking is the one thing that I can get into my daily schedule and maintain, which is the bigger deal for me.

Jonathan

I feel your pain, man. My knees are super fragile, so running just isn't going to happen. My #1 focus when working out the lower body is to have my feet stable and to NEVER let the knees slide out any further than the toes, or do anything high impact.

Good on you to not just give up.

Update:
  • 12 weeks of weight watchers - now lost 27.4 lbs - now down to 181 lbs.
  • First epidural must have helped my back/hip/leg - I've been sleeping in our bed for 2 weeks now
  • While I'm feeling good enough to start working out, my cataract surgeries prevent any strenuous activity until mid-March.
So, I'll just concentrate on continuing to lose weight in the meantime, with the knowledge that, once I'm allowed to workout, it will be easier... 'Cuz I'll be thinner and will be seeing better :cool:

Update:
  • 12 weeks of weight watchers - now lost 27.4 lbs - now down to 181 lbs.
  • First epidural must have helped my back/hip/leg - I've been sleeping in our bed for 2 weeks now
  • While I'm feeling good enough to start working out, my cataract surgeries prevent any strenuous activity until mid-March.
So, I'll just concentrate on continuing to lose weight in the meantime, with the knowledge that, once I'm allowed to workout, it will be easier... 'Cuz I'll be thinner and will be seeing better :cool:

Good on you!

Are you just regulating caloric intake, then?

And as far as "working out" is concerned, it's overrated, imo. If you can walk and/or move in any way, that is often "good enough", as long as you have the gumption to control calories in.

Good on you!

Are you just regulating caloric intake, then?

And as far as "working out" is concerned, it's overrated, imo. If you can walk and/or move in any way, that is often "good enough", as long as you have the gumption to control calories in.

Dianna does the full WW... Points are calc'd using calories, saturated fat, sugar and protein content of each food item. Most fruits and veggies are free. She is allowed 30 points/day and 42 extra points over week.

Rather than do the full Monty, I am able to lose weight by using the WW Simply Filling program (The Simply Filling Technique Food List).

In WWSF, you eat off a list of FREE power foods (http://www.weightwatchers.com/images/1033/dynamic/GCMSImages/FillingFoodList_US.pdf). Anything not on the list is calc'd the same way as the full WW (called Smart Points). I get 42 points per week... I don't get the 30/day.

So, yes I'm regulating caloric intake.

I walk a couple of miles every day, but have to take it at a leisurely pace.

Darned allergies, anyway...

Got that right. The arthritis in my back has had me down. Now I realize I'm just being lazy. Thanks...I need to get back to work!

Update: 15 weeks of Weight Watchers Simply Filling - now lost 32.4 lbs - current weight 176.4

Going to visit with my general practicioner Doctor on Friday... To find out what weight she feels I should get down to...

Out-freaking-standing!

You make me a bit jealous... just a little. On the advice of just about everyone I know, I'm in the "gaining weight" phase of my fitness.

My legs were extremely under developed because of my physical issues, and I have jumped 5 pounds in the last two months because of my work out.

I am now up to 180. :( I liked being 168. It was my favorite weight.

But the scale isn't everything, I am told.

Thanks Drew!! Good to hear from you!!

Realistic weight goals have to change as we age... my "ideal" weight is 120-155 lbs... 120 ain't gonna happen... I was 129 when I entered the Air Force in 1968 and 154 when I finished boot camp.

155 is certainly doable, but, I'm not sure its a realistic weight for me to maintain.

I look and feel good at 176 and Weight Watchers requires a letter from a doctor, to set a 'goal' weight for lifetime maintenance, if I'm not going to shoot for the 120-155 range.

I think 160-165 is more realistic for me... We'll see...

Yes, the scale is definitely not everything. At my lowest weight in the last 13 years, i was 199. I was undernourished and trying to "burn fat". At my healthiest, I was about 212 and doing well. Right now I'm about 217 and feel like s***. I need to work out...period. I'm about finished with all my on-boarding stuff at the new company and should be able to pick things up soon.

Good on all of you who are taking the step to be healthy!

Last night went over to some Greek friends' place and had a "Big Greek Party".

I still feel fat and bloated.

My wife and I plan on going out and climbing some mountains today to work it off.

We scouted out our route Thursday night, and took some pics.

10334468_10207812844193509_4836075328111891351_n.jpg
12798959_10207812843833500_8611546468537038101_n.jpg

I saw my GP last Friday and set my goal weight at 165... Once I reach 165, I go on lifetime maintenance and quit paying $13/week... As long as I stay less than 167.1 lbs (I'm allowed goal+2 lbs... Anything above that requires payment).

I plan to get to 160... That affords me a 7 lbs buffer.

I can continue losing, but doubt I will feel the need.

Today, I had my second (of three) epidurals... I weighed in tonight... Week 16 and lost 2.4 lbs... I weigh 174 now... Lost 34.8 lbs to date.

I'm happy!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom