Fitment of Pioneer TS-G series speakers behind OEM grills (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just did this. Used:
4” pioneer TS-G1020s
6.5” pioneer TS-G1620F

the 4” fit perfectly into the plastic cups after I cut out the bottoms.

the 6.5” were just installed on top of door panel. No issue with spacing.

It looks like the pioneer model listed have been discounted. Any idea on the new model?

@Wopega installed Pioneer 5.25” TS-G520 speakers in the front and Pioneer 4” TS-G400 in the rear.

I'm interested in using those RF Punch or something similar, but my math says I'll need a 1/2" spacer which seems like it will make the provided grille proud of the door card and will hit the corners of the console.

@Rainman are you also "Rainmn" mentioned upthread?

Just finished my f/r door speaker replacement on my ‘94 fzj80. Appreciate all previous posts. They made this easy. I used Pioneer TS-G1645R on front both of which had no remaining cone and were completely dead for years. Trimmed off four mounting ears allowing flush fit to door frame and used four holes in the speaker outside metal ring. Holes lined perfectly. #12 -1 “ sheet metal screws were perfect. I’m getting good at taking off door panels without damaging anything. Had to replace door lock actuator on rear door before but did the rear speakers with panels in place. Could not find the 4” TS-G1045R but the TS-G1020S worked fine. As others have done I trimmed out the back of plastic mounting bracket, removed a single speaker mounting tab and bent the others back 90 degrees. Rotated the speaker in the basket so the mounting tabs found a good space on the basket for screws and were not blocking the grill clip slots. I used three small,very short sheet metal screws through mounting tabs and into pre-tapped holes in the basket. I trimmed out just the center of the ‘Y’ on the back of the OEM grill to allow it to seat flush against the door panel otherwise the tweeter prevented the grill from seating completely. I’m very happy with the outcome. Now on to stereo head unit replacement which seems will be a bit more formidable because of ‘94 dash perhaps a bit more difficult to get behind than what I’ve seen on YouTube for ‘96 LC. If anyone has experience with a ‘94 dash, would appreciate any help/hints.
thinking about using Pioneer FH-X830BHS

Just finished my f/r door speaker replacement on my ‘94 fzj80. Appreciate all previous posts. They made this easy. I used Pioneer TS-G1645R on front both of which had no remaining cone and were completely dead for years. Trimmed off four mounting ears allowing flush fit to door frame and used four holes in the speaker outside metal ring. Holes lined perfectly. #12 -1 “ sheet metal screws were perfect. I’m getting good at taking off door panels without damaging anything. Had to replace door lock actuator on rear door before but did the rear speakers with panels in place. Could not find the 4” TS-G1045R but the TS-G1020S worked fine. As others have done I trimmed out the back of plastic mounting bracket, removed a single speaker mounting tab and bent the others back 90 degrees. Rotated the speaker in the basket so the mounting tabs found a good space on the basket for screws and were not blocking the grill clip slots. I used three small,very short sheet metal screws through mounting tabs and into pre-tapped holes in the basket. I trimmed out just the center of the ‘Y’ on the back of the OEM grill to allow it to seat flush against the door panel otherwise the tweeter prevented the grill from seating completely. I’m very happy with the outcome. Now on to stereo head unit replacement which seems will be a bit more formidable because of ‘94 dash perhaps a bit more difficult to get behind than what I’ve seen on YouTube for ‘96 LC. If anyone has experience with a ‘94 dash, would appreciate any help/hints.
thinking about using Pioneer FH-X830BHS
'94 is a breeze. Just re-use the double brackets from the stock stereo and slap on your flavor of new deck. Single and double din fit just fine. I kept things simple (and cheap) with a single and pocket below. Then decided to put a cb (cobra makes one front speaker firing and almost exact the width) below where the pocket was.

Similar experience with my '94, I used a Sony AX1000 double-DIN with CarPlay, the installation instructions and head unit chassis are marked where to install the factory Toyota brackets to fit. My dash panels were cracked in a couple places from PO but the swap really isn't hard— it's a 2 hour job max including building the adapter harness from Crutchfield.

I just did this. Used:
4” pioneer TS-G1020s
6.5” pioneer TS-G1620F

the 4” fit perfectly into the plastic cups after I cut out the bottoms.

the 6.5” were just installed on top of door panel. No issue with spacing.
For the fronts, did you keep the stock speaker grills and use the stock mounting screws? About to order speakers and deciding between the TS-G1620F or TS-G1645R.

For the fronts, did you keep the stock speaker grills and use the stock mounting screws? About to order speakers and deciding between the TS-G1620F or TS-G1645R.
I used the 1645’s. As the front door OEM speaker grills are attached to the door panel, I left them intact with no fitment issues over the new 1645’s

I used the 1645’s. As the front door OEM speaker grills are attached to the door panel, I left them intact with no fitment issues over the new 1645’s
Sorry, seems I butted in. It sounds like you want to surface mount on the door panel. I took my door panel off and mounted the speaker to the door frame like the stock speaker.

Sorry, seems I butted in. It sounds like you want to surface mount on the door panel. I took my door panel off and mounted the speaker to the door frame like the stock speaker.
No, what you said helped me pick the 1645's. I want as close to stock installation as possible. Thanks.

Has anyone replaced the “absolutely precious and cute” little useless speakers in the rear headliner? Any advice?

This is the only source I found that even lists anything:
These supposedly fit, but I am highly suspicious

Has anyone replaced the “absolutely precious and cute” little useless speakers in the rear headliner? Any advice?

This is the only source I found that even lists anything:
These supposedly fit, but I am highly suspicious
I’m currently researching/working on these 2 speakers right. Did you try these out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom