Fit an electric fuel pump to an FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.fj40.co.uk
Ive got a 74 FJ40 with an F engine and a stock carb,Ive recently had to seal the fuel tank with POR 15 and blocked the fuel pick-up [real clever eh?]so I then fitted a fuel pick up through the top of the tank and it intially seem to work fine.
Im now having a few problems starting down to fuel starvation and have to wind the motor over for ages, could it be due to the mechanical pump not being upto sucking enough fuel,if so would an electric fuel pump do the trick ? also and can anyone suggest how to wire one in?
Regards
John

From what you're saying it sounds very much like there is still some blockage in the system some place. Line, pump, filter, or carb gunked up ...

Wiring in an electric pump is an easy task but I have a hunch (unless your mechanical pump is the thing that's clogged) the problem will still be there.

BUY A NEW METAL GAS TANK!!!!!

A fuel tank that is deteriorating, is not going to do anything other than give you more and more fuel related problems in the future.

Get rid of it.

Good luck!

-Steve

Good luck!!

You should not have put in a new pickup that sucks up vertically, it will work well at first but will eventually cause intermittent failure of the electric pump (which are designed to push not pull)... Unless you ran a prepump in the tank. I would fill in that hole and drill out your oem hole if possible...

I'm not sure sealing a fuel tank with POR 15 is a good idea. If it's leaking I'd either follow Poser's advice or take it off and have it professionallly repaired. I would n't waste my time or money putting in an electric pump. Fix the real problem.

bet he meant POR's gas tank sealer system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom