Fisrt Birf job done 140k done ..... kinda... question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
Ok this was the first Birf job i have ever done, first axle i have ever torn into non the less. Im a one bannana guy and this was all new to me so yah. now heres where the flamming begins. i have only finished one side I.E. the driver side and it took me about 10 hours. yes yes i know 10 hours are u nuts?. but i cleaned everything very well took my time, had to get some cleaner and stuff and 2 other guys were doing theres at the same time so if something happened every one had to stop and look. The truck was leaking oil and greese togeter so it was in need. everything looke perfect though and i mean everything. Now heres the question. All thre of us broke our birfs apart to clean and re grease. the question is when you slide it back together how did you guys get the snap ring back in? im sure theres a tool out there and what not be we resorted to 3 guys with screw drivers and pressure to get it to pop back in. I know some of you do this by yourself so what you do?

pics
PICT0010.jpg
PICT0011.jpg
PICT0025.jpg

lx450landcruiser said:
the question is when you slide it back together how did you guys get the snap ring back in? im sure theres a tool out there and what not be we resorted to 3 guys with screw drivers and pressure to get it to pop back in. I know some of you do this by yourself so what you do?

pics

There are pliers (C-clip pliers) in diferent assortments/sizes for this. Makes taking them off easier, too. On or off in a couple of seconds. Snap-On has them but you might be able to get them at NAPA or Sears.

After re-reading your post, I now think you mean the C-clip that goes on the very end of the inner axle. I have used a simple hose clamp to compress it into the groove and then gentltyknocked the axle into the Birf. The clamp will slide, sort of like a ring compressor on a piston.

Here's one way to do it....

I drilled a 1-3/4" hole in my bench top (expecting to use it again) instead of clamping the birf. in a vise. This is a handy way to the hold birf. vertical when packing with grease and resetting the axle shaft.

Just slide the birf. into the hole and then take the shaft (with a new spring clip installed) in one hand and using a small screw driver in the other hand...you can tilt the shaft to one side, this will cause about one third of the clip to go into the splined hole.

Then, while pressing down...slowly bring the axle shaft vertical while working the clip in with the screwdriver. Both of mine popped right in using this method.

Hole in bench top is the "hot tip".

flintknapper said:
I drilled a 1-3/4" hole in my bench top (expecting to use it again) instead of clamping the birf. in a vise. This is a handy way to the hold birf. vertical when packing with grease and resetting the axle shaft.

Just slide the birf. into the hole and then take the shaft (with a new spring clip installed) in one hand and using a small screw driver in the other hand...you can tilt the shaft to one side, this will cause about one third of the clip to go into the splined hole.

Then, while pressing down...slowly bring the axle shaft vertical while working the clip in with the screwdriver. Both of mine popped right in using this method.

Hole in bench top is the "hot tip".

Same system here....works great.

Makes assembly of the birf inners easer also.

Capt. Jim said:
After re-reading your post, I now think you mean the C-clip that goes on the very end of the inner axle. I have used a simple hose clamp to compress it into the groove and then gentltyknocked the axle into the Birf. The clamp will slide, sort of like a ring compressor on a piston.

Jim, We thought about this idea but did not have a hose clamp handy.

Great pics Mike. Thanks again for the use of your place.

no prob im doing the other side now and its goign way faster. let me know why you and john do the othe side i may come give ya hand if ya need it.

mike

Capt. Jim said:

Yep. I use this method too. Trying to work that circlip on with tiny screwdrivers requires the vice and three pairs of hands. Aargggh! Cardinal Fang's compressor works so much better:
http://www.wejacks.com/clipcompressor/birfieldclip.htm
birfieldclip.jpg

In that picture, is everything set up the way you'd have it before inserting into the birf.? I see the circlip below the tuna can sleeve and hose clamp, but based on the explaination, it sounds like that is supposed to be compressed around the circlip that is placed in the groove. ... me confused.

Thanks for any clarification.
Rookie2

Rookie2 said:
In that picture, is everything set up the way you'd have it before inserting into the birf.? I see the circlip below the tuna can sleeve and hose clamp, but based on the explaination, it sounds like that is supposed to be compressed around the circlip that is placed in the groove. ... me confused.

Thanks for any clarification.
Rookie2

There are 2 grooves/clips in the splined end. The one that needs compressing is under the hose clamp. The one showing is a c-clip that does not need to be compressed, as it keeps the axle from going too far into the birf.

The circlip that is compessed in the pic is about .25" from the end of the axle shaft.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Upon closer examination of the photo, the c-clip is indeed not in the groove. However, this is not the clip that needs compressing. Sorry for any confusion.

Capt. Jim said:
There are 2 grooves/clips in the splined end. The one that needs compressing is under the hose clamp. The one showing is a c-clip that does not need to be compressed, as it keeps the axle from going too far into the birf.

The circlip that is compessed in the pic is about .25" from the end of the axle shaft.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Yes, that clears it up quite a bit. Thanks.

Rookie2

Ok this was the first Birf job i have ever done, first axle i have ever torn into non the less. Im a one bannana guy and this was all new to me so yah. now heres where the flamming begins. i have only finished one side I.E. the driver side and it took me about 10 hours. yes yes i know 10 hours are u nuts?. but i cleaned everything very well took my time, had to get some cleaner and stuff and 2 other guys were doing theres at the same time so if something happened every one had to stop and look. The truck was leaking oil and greese togeter so it was in need. everything looke perfect though and i mean everything. Now heres the question. All thre of us broke our birfs apart to clean and re grease. the question is when you slide it back together how did you guys get the snap ring back in? im sure theres a tool out there and what not be we resorted to 3 guys with screw drivers and pressure to get it to pop back in. I know some of you do this by yourself so what you do?

pics
View attachment 30430View attachment 30431View attachment 30432

I am in the middle of my first job now too, finding the same problems and difficulty getting that ring on the end of the inner axle in.

I'm thinking a set of pliers like these may be a good idea, haven't tried it yet:

Spark Plug Wire Pliers Long Jaws | Baum | B103-0037

Have to find a set that has the correct or near-correct diameter.

Has anyone used this type of tool before for getting the birf clip to compress ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom