Fishing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnVee

SILVER Star
Threads
It's about that time, and I haven't fished in NOVA since 1996. As I am boatless during my VA stretch, I would absolutely love the opportunity to hit the water with any of you folks. Happy to contribute to expenses. Hell, even just borrowing a kayak for awhile would go a long way towards my happiness - that's what I do back home in NC (fish from one, not borrow one!).

Offshore and fly fishing are the only types of fishing that I don't love - but feel free to change my mind! Ultralight to medium is my preference but I'm set up with gear to cover most other bases (i.e. I most probably don't need to borrow tackle). Bream to bass to catfish and beyond. I've been getting into trout the last few years. Inshore and surf fishing work for me, too.

Lake Brittle is really close to my house, and I hear it's full of northern snakehead. That's on my short list this year, never even seen one. Lake Manassas is even closer but I know nothing about it. I grew up on Burke Lake so I'd love to see if any of my secret spots still produce, and I hear it's infested with snakehead, too.

I don't work while I'm here in VA, excluding my caregiver duties, so my flexibility for time is great.

So anyhoo, all that to say...anybody wanna go fishing?

Another way to fish affordable is to check Groupon. I went on a Chesapeake Bay fishing trip with my wife that way, and had a blast! We both caught the biggest Striped Bass that day.

Here's what came up just doing a quick search for Virginia Beach ---

The amount of stuff I’m transporting from CLT to GVL so I can have fun in my free time, or be prepared for s*** of various kinds, is staggering! Not to mention the crap I already own but needed to buy here because miine’s 400 miles away. I’m gonna need a box truck when I finally go home. Sarah tells me to fly so I CANT bring stuff up here...but I absolutely need my stuff! Thank god I’m not trying to play music anymore!

That’s partly why I’m looking to borrow a kayak instead of bringing one up. Cause, you know...the rack holds two and she’s not gonna need hers with me gone. A spare is always good! Yes, I’m sick.

BTW- she’s a minimalist. I have too many disparate interests for that.

But...back to fishing.

The amount of stuff I’m transporting from CLT to GVL so I can have fun in my free time, or be prepared for s*** of various kinds, is staggering! Not to mention the crap I already own but needed to buy here because miine’s 400 miles away. I’m gonna need a box truck when I finally go home. Sarah tells me to fly so I CANT bring stuff up here...but I absolutely need my stuff! Thank god I’m not trying to play music anymore!

That’s partly why I’m looking to borrow a kayak instead of bringing one up. Cause, you know...the rack holds two and she’s not gonna need hers with me gone. A spare is always good! Yes, I’m sick.

BTW- she’s a minimalist. I have too many disparate interests for that.

But...back to fishing.
I hear you. I've done my best recently to pare down my hobbies to wheeling (and associated wrenching and camping), fly-fishing, mountain biking and snow boarding.

I plan on getting some spring flyfishing in, at some point in the not too distant future, but we'll see.

Come down this way
3235CC85-0AE0-467E-A207-562BBB214457.jpeg

Google VDGIF.
there are 2 scheduled trout releases in Fauquier and Rappahannock county in April of this year.
Lake Brittle is OK but the lake still has some snakeheads after a ordered fish kill and restocking. Try Germantown Lake off Meetze rd for some better fishing and you can rent a boat or kayak there if you want.
I have not put in the rappahannock since last fall and the massive rains we have had has surely changed the structures and habits of the fish but it might be for the better.

2018-06-10 21.10.26.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom