Fishing rod/reel storage, transportation, etc, 2015 GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks, quick question for those transporting a decent bit of fishing tackle. How do you store your rod/reel combos? Interior? Exterior?

I've got a 2015 GX460 and will likely be getting the Pioneer Platform for it soon, the largest one 84"x49", and I want to know how everyone transports their setups. I would likely want to keep a couple of freshwater bass rods, so 7' or 7'6" max and maybe a longer saltwater setup in/on the truck pretty much 24/7. All my setups are 1 piece rods and that's what I'll stick to as long as I can. All of this has me thinking some kind of interior roof mount setup, so they can be locked inside the vehicle, out of the way. I'd also like to be able to haul as many as 7 or 8 rods at once. I have 2 boys (4.5 and 6 months) and I can see us making lots of cannonball fishing runs to the lakes and beaches here in NC.

If the rods are too long for interior, then I'd look to do some mounting on the Pioneer platform.

The only thing I have found that looks appealing is the Inno interior rack setups. They replace an interior grab handle at the rear and then mount the rods forward. Has anyone actually installed and used one? Looking at this one specifically. INNO J Hook Multi Type, 7-Rod Holder, IF4 - Rack Solid

I feel like if I was willing to sacrifice 2 sets of grab handles, the ones in the rear and the ones in the second row, a simple cross beam setup could be built. I've got a buddy who is a design wizard and could whip something up I know. Biggest trouble with him is getting on his calendar!

Any help folks?

I have been using the Booms Fishing Vehicle Rod Carrier for the last year and I like it quite a bit. The rods store pretty nicely and don't dislodge on bumpy roads. I use it for the bait casting and open face reels and rods. The flyrods are all too long and are stored in their tubes with all the other gear in the cargo area.

If you go exterior, you can easily go with PVC tubing, 4" or larger to accommodate whatever rod sizes you have. You should be able to get it at any industrial irrigation company. Then just glue cap the distal end and a lockable cap on the proximal end. One other thing that may be added for ease if it's semi-permanent mounted to a rack, when you put your polls in the tube, put them in a sock with a long string first. This is in case you have a long PVC tube for your salt water rods and stick some smaller (shorter) rods in there. You won't be having to strain yourself reaching into the PVC tube to get the short rods out.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Thanks.
@cyclist85, I am going to order just that and try to rig it up on my very rear handles and then use the back seat handles as the secondary point.

@r2m I didn't want to do the PVC solution because of risking banging up a bunch of the eyes and reels on the streets around here. Raleigh roads are pretty good, but there are some bad ones that could cause some real problems.

Also, I made the mistake of researching racks again yesterday and it looks like instead of the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform, I need the Front Runner rack. They have so many more accessories. The Pioneer rack looks similar and I can get it for a lot cheaper, so I need to see if the Front Runner accessories work on it.

@cyclist85 and @JRHorne, would you guys mind posting up a photo of the Booms Rod Carrier in your vehicles? Still like it?
I'll throw it up in the truck when the kids go to sleep. I love it, both for the money and performance. It was pretty much exactly what I wanted and I had 3 rods in it at once, a 7' baitcaster, 3" rod for the kid, and a 2 piece 9' surf rod. Help them all wonderfully up and out of the way. I actually ordered 2 just so I could use a 3rd strap if I wanted across the front grab handles. Didn't need it.

Awesome feedback, @JRHorne. What color is your 2nd strap pair? Want to sell it to me?
It's just plain black. Dude, they are on sale for $14.99 right now! That's cheap! Just buy a set, trust me you'll like them as long as you're not carrying any rods longer than about 7'.

Sorry, I got sidetracked with kids and life and forgot to take pics. You won't regret the purchase. Hard to beat for the money and really does tuck them up and out of the way nicely.

Mine arrived and I installed it in my 100 Series last night. Very snug fit. Looking forward to putting rods in it this weekend for the first time. Glad to have found this thread. Thanks.

3C583D00-6C3B-42AF-A935-A5114D49B78E.jpeg

With all due respect, that looks almost as if you could have made one yourself. :meh:

With all due respect, that looks almost as if you could have made one yourself. :meh:
Sure you could, but considering it was like $15 shipped, my time is more valuable than trying to make one myself. Yes it's simple. Yes, it works.

Ahhh, 'nough said. I too would have just droped the 15 clams. Good on ya!
Didn't realize it was that cheap.

One guy I saw took the orange colored harbor freight ratchet straps and made something similar. The tail end was wrapped around the poles to keep them somewhat secured. Wouldn’t be as clean looking but would work in a pinch.

One guy I saw took the orange colored harbor freight ratchet straps and made something similar. The tail end was wrapped around the poles to keep them somewhat secured. Wouldn’t be as clean looking but would work in a pinch.
Exact same concept. This solution is really good for the price. I think you could even put many more rods up on it if you just got some small bunge cords or velcro wraps to keep them in place. The strap is nice and thick so the weight of all the setups shouldn't be an issue. The bigger issue for me is going to be rods over 7'. there's just not enough clearance in the truck!

Luckily, the 1 9' rod I have is a 2 piece.

Quick update. Still using this setup and like it a lot. One problem I have found is when I put 6 or 7 combos up there, it sags a good bit. The solution is if I want to take that many, I should just remove the reels and pack them out and then just store the rods up there. I'd have no problem getting 10 rods up there using the included loops plus a few small bungies or even clothes pins.

Thanks for the update. I actually purchased one for my gx and have only had up to 3 rods without any issues. When not in use i just put it in the storage cubby in the hatch area.

Thanks for the update. I actually purchased one for my gx and have only had up to 3 rods without any issues. When not in use i just put it in the storage cubby in the hatch area.
I actually leave the rear strap up all the time. I could leave both up all the time and they're really not in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom