first wheeling trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.barryhause.com
Well, here's my first post on the CLC forum. I'm attempting to post couple of shots of my first 4 wheeling excursion ever. See if they come through. We drove over 5000 miles in my '82 fj60. We travelled to Arizona via Texas and New mexico. We wheeled over some rugged lava/boulder paths on a mesa above West Clear Creek Canyon in order to reach a backpacking trail. The photos here are from a three hour excursion through canyon de Chelly in northern AZ. I drove while a Navajo guide shouted unintelligible instructions from the front passenger seat. It wasn't a terribly difficult track, though the sandy places could be a little treacherous and the banks were steep at times. The worst were the sinkholes in the river. The water is muddy so they were invisible. When you hit one, a wheel simply dropped a foot or two. On more one of these I smacked my passengers heads on the roof. I think I even drew blood once....

Overall it was a good first experience. I'm anxious for more, though the truck remains stock and has some issues. We had a few repairs: clutch master cylinder, power steering pump and alternator (after the riverbed ride) all had to be replaced at separate intervals. We spent 3 days in Fort Stockton, TX waiting for a clutch master cylinder. I ordered the slave cylinder which I installed later. It arrived by FEDEX as we were pulling out of town. We had to flag the van down. I drove three hours to pick up a pulley wheel from a cruiser head near Santa Fe, NM. I believe I'm developing a certain level of commitment here. More tales at the next meeting.
Barry

Last edited:
Great write up Barry! Keep em coming.

Sweet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom