1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Valve Adjustment down, questions remain

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by jgordon, Aug 14, 2006.

1. jgordon

jgordon

So I did my first valve adjustment on Saturday. Was not as hard as I had imagined, either the adjustment or getting the gasket and cover back on. I even started the engine with the cover off - it was quieter after the adjustment with the cover off than it had been before with it on.

However, I have a couple of questions.

1. What are the symptoms if the valves are too tight? I had two that were loose after the adjustment - You could hear them easily with the engine on, so that was no problem. But if they're too tight, is there a way to tell other than with the guage? maybe a stupid question.

2. The rocker support bolts - the fsm said to tighten them prior to the adjustement. It listed them as 8 mm and 10 mm. I went to the bolts they described, and they were (i believe) 11 mm and 13mm? possibly 12 and 14. I adjusted the larger ones to 31 lb/ft per the fsm, but when I went to the smaller ones, i was trying to get them to 21 lb/ft and they just wouldn't go. I was tightening them and tightening them, and finally just called it off because I figured something was wrong. but not before getting the first one (between cylinders 1 and 2) I think a little too tight. It now turns pretty freely when you torque it.
    - so how badly did I screw up that bolt?
    - and why won't the other ones take torque?
    - or are they just that loose that I need to keep cranking them?

Thanks very much.

2. FJ40Jim

FJ40Jim The Cruiser Whisperer

Media:
    Tight valves will (obviously) measure too tight. If they are way tight, then the the valve will not hit the seat completely, showing up as low/no compression in the effected cylindrs.

The rocker support bolts are 8mm and 10mm thread. 12 and 14 hex. The 8mm bolts is pretty weak, my manual says 18ft lbs for the 8mm bolts. Definitely don't go over that, because the long bolt just twists and stretches. The 10mm bolts and studs are much stronger and can be overtorqued, but there is no reason to do so, IME. spec on the 10mm is 28ft/lb.

HTH.

3. jgordon

jgordon

So let's just say I may have over-tightened that bolt. What are the consequences?

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">