Builds First Toyota... 1983 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased a 1983 FJ60. I have always wanted one and finally made the decision to buy one. This particular one is cosmetically in pretty rough shape. It runs really well though. I have purchased a tune up kit and a knuckle rebuild kit. I have already repaired the fuel gauge and a few other small issues. Currently im trying to figure out a popping noise when im turning and an oil leak i cant seem to track down. My goal is to get it mechanically sound and not do anything with the body. I have never owned a Toyota so im interested to learn about them as i go.

This website seems like a great source for info.

thanks

chandler

IMG_8937.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome and nice color! This Forum is invaluable! You will learn to use the search function but sometimes end up using google to get you to the right place on here. Oil leaks are everyday things with the 60. :) Nice rig.

EDIT: Time to get your wallet out!

Last edited:
first time new FJ60 owners always make me smile.
If the sound you’re hearing when turning the steering wheel is more of a “clunk” than a “pop”, clunk sounds during turning are often just the leafs in the front shifting within the pack. Not dangerous.
You can verify if that’s what’s happening by spraying the front leaf springs with water. If it clunks even more when turning — it’s the leafs shifting sideways.

I greased my popping leaf springs. It helps.

Currently im trying to figure out a popping noise when im turning and an oil leak i cant seem to track down.

Just make sure the oil leak is not the oil galley plug on the head, that one can lead to catastrophe. Any other oil is nothing but an annoyance in comparison.

Welcome and nice color! This Forum is invaluable! You will learn to use the search function but sometimes end up using google to get you to the right place on here. Oil leaks are everyday things with the 60. :) Nice rig.

EDIT: Time to get your wallet out!
I thought I was going to be saving money coming from working on land rovers 🤦🏼‍♂️

Do you have the location of that? It seems to be coming from around the bottom of the block on the passenger side
There are pictures of the oil galley plug in the 60 Series FAQ, because it's a common thing. It's pretty innocuous unless you know just where and what to look for. Once you see those pictures and then go look at yours, it will be obvious. If you're still unsure after looking, I can take a picture of mine and point it out for you.

Welcome to 60's, and the forum!

Did you remove the spring packs and separate them?
No, you need a grease gun though.

Just press the grease gun into the moving leaf spring and pump. Preferably near the spring plate.

@chandlerhayes01 It’s a good idea to download a copy of the factory service manuals (heretofore known as the FSMs) - 2F Engine, Body & Chassis, and Emissions are the ones you seek. Check the resources tab at the top or reach out to me (or any number of folks on here).

Often times I’ve seen new owners be keen on shortcuts or winging it when it comes to repairs. Toyota built these trucks very simply so the easiest and most reliable way to fix something is by the book 99.9% of the time. And by “the book” I mean the FSMs - never ever a Haynes or anything else. If you have a Haynes, recycle it or use it for kindling on your next campout.

Good luck. I don’t mean for working on your truck - seems like you’ll get a handle on that. I mean good luck trying not to buy your 2nd or 3rd cruiser now that you have your first one.

I thought I was going to be saving money coming from working on land rovers 🤦🏼‍♂️
save $$$, pfftt..... I keep a folder of everything I have spent on mine and if my wife ever found it we would end up in divorce court. All she knows is what I originally paid and I have spent "some" money on it to keep it up. I am finally to items I thought I would never buy for this thing like a new bumper and winch....still trying to figure out how to do that without her noticing.

a clunking noise while turning is usually caused by worn out shackle bushings up front.

There are pictures of the oil galley plug in the 60 Series FAQ, because it's a common thing. It's pretty innocuous unless you know just where and what to look for. Once you see those pictures and then go look at yours, it will be obvious. If you're still unsure after looking, I can take a picture of mine and point it out for you.

Welcome to 60's, and the forum!
i found it this morning before i drove. everything looked good. i still plan on drilling and tapping the m8x1.25 bolt so i dont have to worry about it

@chandlerhayes01 It’s a good idea to download a copy of the factory service manuals (heretofore known as the FSMs) - 2F Engine, Body & Chassis, and Emissions are the ones you seek. Check the resources tab at the top or reach out to me (or any number of folks on here).

Often times I’ve seen new owners be keen on shortcuts or winging it when it comes to repairs. Toyota built these trucks very simply so the easiest and most reliable way to fix something is by the book 99.9% of the time. And by “the book” I mean the FSMs - never ever a Haynes or anything else. If you have a Haynes, recycle it or use it for kindling on your next campout.

Good luck. I don’t mean for working on your truck - seems like you’ll get a handle on that. I mean good luck trying not to buy your 2nd or 3rd cruiser now that you have your first one.
thats great! i will reach out to you about getting an FSM

the next thing i am looking for is the fuse for the dash lights. i found the location but it does not seem to have the female end to plug a fuse into. Is this common???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom