First top removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Though my BJ40 top has been taken off recently for shop body work, I haven't done it myself or even witnessed it being done.

Is there anything I should have handy for this? Major pitfalls I need to look out for?

get 4 people to help, watch out for the bars going into the body right behind the door.

OR

take it apart on the truck. 3 peices. makes for better storing too.

I agree that you need at least 4 people. It's heavy. I would only take it apart if you can't store it inside.

I remember seeing a pic a while back where a guy strapped his top to a tree limb and just drove the truck out from under it and then lowered the top on to a trailer or on to the ground. Not a bad idea if you have a strong tree limb to use or if your by yourself.

[quote author=atoyot link=board=1;threadid=17284;start=msg167371#msg167371 date=1086118363]
I remember seeing a pic a while back where a guy strapped his top to a tree limb and just drove the truck out from under it and then lowered the top on to a trailer or on to the ground. Not a bad idea if you have a strong tree limb to use or if your by yourself.
[/quote]
Those pics are here in the tech-section: http://www.tym.us/FJ40top.html

I have installed a $100 / 250 kg winch in the top of my barn. I lift the top off and leave it up there for storage.
Ton

How about the seatbelt relocation to the [new] roll bar? Is there a good kit for that or should I just drill the bar with new bolt holes?

bolt it onto the existing bolts... no need to drill anything

I took my top off by my self, once, and put it on once by myself, it is really hard to do, but if you have strong legs and back, you CAN do it. 2 people is better than 1, but with 2 it makes it easier if stand in the back and lift the top off of the body, clearing the posts, then the 2 of you can lift it off easier. I guess this would be the way to do it wiith 3 people also. It is not so much that the top is heavy, as it is awkward as all get out. The posts are what make it the most difficult. # guys don't really do a lot off good tiehr, as the height/weight ratios get worse. So 2 or 4 people for sure. I think we only removed my top with 4 poeple 1 out of 8 times.
Rod

[quote author=Ton link=board=1;threadid=17284;start=msg167409#msg167409 date=1086121246]
Those pics are here in the tech-section: http://www.tym.us/FJ40top.html

I have installed a $100 / 250 kg winch in the top of my barn. I lift the top off and leave it up there for storage.
Ton
[/quote]
Yep that's the write up I was referring to! Pretty good idea if you ask me. It seems more safe to me as well. As long as you use common sense.

Since I am the lucky owner of a cruiser with 2 of the seatbelt points on the removeable hard top I guess some drilling is in order. My '81 didn't have a roll bar in it, so I added a metaltech stock-style bar (no bolts to use).

tomorrow should be the big day for top removal - just found a self storage place for the top too ;)

[quote author=cruiser rod link=board=1;threadid=17284;start=msg167601#msg167601 date=1086142246]
I took my top off by my self, once, and put it on once by myself, it is really hard to do, but if you have strong legs and back, you CAN do it. 2 people is better than 1, but with 2 it makes it easier if stand in the back and lift the top off of the body, clearing the posts, then the 2 of you can lift it off easier. I guess this would be the way to do it wiith 3 people also. It is not so much that the top is heavy, as it is awkward as all get out. The posts are what make it the most difficult. # guys don't really do a lot off good tiehr, as the height/weight ratios get worse. So 2 or 4 people for sure. I think we only removed my top with 4 poeple 1 out of 8 times.
Rod
[/quote]

I found that it was pretty strenuous to take off the top on my own, but very doable. Of course if you take it apart it can be done no problem on your own, but if you get a 2x4 cut to wedge into your side panels right underneath the top, you can get a good shoulder placement and squat the top high enough to lift the posts out. Once you do that, turn and rest the whole assembly sideways, climb down, and lift it off. Heavy, but doable. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom