First time t-case build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got the transfer case torn down today, and most everything cleaned up. Before I start reassembling, I have a couple of questions.

1. Are there any tips / tricks to getting the intermediate shaft freeze plug in properly, so it doesn’t leak? Looks like the PO just hammered in the one that’s there, and it was weeping.

2. There’s a small burr around all of the teeth on the idler gears, and the high / low gears. The wear pattern looks good, and it’s consistent on all of the teeth. Just a manufacturing issue, or are the gears fubar?

AB84F750-1961-4135-A028-DC8A76B2C801.jpeg

6D2FBCD8-4CC7-4D75-BC85-7D2EC8E484E7.jpeg

AA768EE5-2AE9-4386-ACA8-BF1A4595F7AE.jpeg

DFA77C1F-C54A-4898-B9E6-43BDE1F57C02.jpeg

F7DB38DD-B112-4B7D-8FD8-07B8B8F15790.jpeg

For the plug I use a light film of RTV silicone and have also had good luck on similar plugs with Lock tite thread sealer.

As far as the gears, the small burrs won't hurt anything in the short run, but I would file or grind them smooth so the metal doesn't end up flaking off and end up in the bottom of the t-case.

For the plug I use a light film of RTV silicone and have also had good luck on similar plugs with Lock tite thread sealer.

As far as the gears, the small burrs won't hurt anything in the short run, but I would file or grind them smooth so the metal doesn't end up flaking off and end up in the bottom of the t-case.
Appreciate the info...

I got it mostly put back together yesterday afternoon, and finished up this morning. I ran a small bead of RTV around the seat for the freeze plug, and ran a whetstone along the edge of all the gears. Cleaned up the burr nicely.

Transmission is next, but it'll have to wait a few days while I work on the "honey-do list" my wife put together for me. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom