First time poster and LC owner with smog questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi. Let me start out by saying I have never been a member of a forum until this one yesterday.. So please don’t hesitate to tell me if posting in the wrong spot. A little history. I am 49 and have spent most of my teenage years on up with 4x4s. I do not thrash on them and never have. They have been all full size Ford, Chevy and Dodge from the 70s through early to mid 80s but mostly square body 73-80. I am very mechanically inclined as I have always been way too anal about the job being done right to trust somebody else to do it. I am an originality nut almost to the point where I probably should seek professional help.
So, this is my first Toyota or any foreign vehicle For that matter. It is an 83 FJ 60 with 169000 miles bought from my childhood neighbors who bought it new. I am very impressed and really hate to admit it but the build quality, material quality, simplicity, mechanical layout and the robust components are miles ahead of a same vintage K5, Bronco, or Ramcharger. I have really grown to love it.
The only modification was done a long time ago which is a Weber carb. I can’t drive it knowing that is under my hood instead of the engineered for the vehicle original carb. So I just ordered a NOS original from city racer. When it gets here I will have two problems. One, I have no idea how modified the linkage is to work with the Weber, hoping somebody could share a picture. Two, I have searched this site and maybe incorrectly if I missed it but I can’t seem to find a definitive idea of what needs to be done to use original carb with desmogged motor. Any help would be really really appreciated and thank you in advance.

welcome aboard this ship o'fools :flipoff2: you speak of needing professional help, hahaha, you're not alone.
there's a number of desmog threads in here that should point you in the right direction.
oh yeah, pictures, we need pictures:hillbilly:

Please confirm...your engine is desmogged and you purchased an OEM carburetor part number 21100-61140 that was originally on a USA smogged vehicle? I ask because I didn't see a carburetor for a smogged vehicle on City Racer's web site. He does have an OEM carburetor for desmogged applications and I would think that would be a better fit for you.

@ToyotaMatt : carburetor linkage needed here! Below is the schematic for the accelerator linkage. The bell crank mounts to the engine side of the fire wall and the bracket mounts using the two left side (drivers side) carburetor mounting studs. The Rod (78103) and the spring actually point the other direction (they go to the right side of the bracket, not the left.

1624458119702.png

What you most likely ordered from City Racer is not a NOS USA-spec carb (the 61140/41 carb mentioned above) but a 61012 Non-USA Carburetor that is current production by the OEM for Toyota and is available as a ROW (rest of the world) replacement. It's the same footprint and will bolt up like the OE carb but it has no smog provisions, which is not a problem since you're desmogged. You will need to source the linkage pictured above, if it is not with the truck you purchased. The 61012 Carburetor also does not have the Air Horn ports for the HAC system (High Altitude Compensation), so that system can be deleted, also. It's a nice feature though, if you travel above 4000 ft.

Good luck and welcome.

Please confirm...your engine is desmogged and you purchased an OEM carburetor part number 21100-61140 that was originally on a USA smogged vehicle? I ask because I didn't see a carburetor for a smogged vehicle on City Racer's web site. He does have an OEM carburetor for desmogged applications and I would think that would be a better fit for you.

@ToyotaMatt : carburetor linkage needed here! Below is the schematic for the accelerator linkage. The bell crank mounts to the engine side of the fire wall and the bracket mounts using the two left side (drivers side) carburetor mounting studs. The Rod (78103) and the spring actually point the other direction (they go to the right side of the bracket, not the left.

View attachment 2711795
Good morning. Maybe I did order the right carb? I ordered a 21100-61012 as I just checked my order. it looks like i am going to have to get on eBay and find 78183 bracket with return spring 78103A as the bracket on the Weber is quite different. Last question, is the city racer points distributor my only factory option that will work properly with on desmog? Not excited about points but I have called and left message with TLC and have not heard back so they are probably buried like the rest of us and not even completely sure if they are still doing distributors. I read someplace that Jim C. was the distributor guy.

Good morning. Maybe I did order the right carb? I ordered a 21100-61012 as I just checked my order. it looks like i am going to have to get on eBay and find 78183 bracket with return spring 78103A as the bracket on the Weber is quite different. Last question, is the city racer points distributor my only factory option that will work properly with on desmog? Not excited about points but I have called and left message with TLC and have not heard back so they are probably buried like the rest of us and not even completely sure if they are still doing distributors. I read someplace that Jim C. was the distributor guy.
Most importantly thank you very much for your help on this.

Last question, is the city racer points distributor my only factory option that will work properly with on desmog? Not excited about points but I have called and left message with TLC and have not heard back so they are probably buried like the rest of us and not even completely sure if they are still doing distributors. I read someplace that Jim C. was the distributor guy.
I doubt this will be your "last" question ;)

As Spike suggests, if you have your original distributor, try to keep it. Jim C (@FJ40Jim ) can recurve your distributor to make it work better with the desmog.

Your story is much like my own. Welcome aboard. I applaud you in the Webber decision. F those things! You will be busy enough base lining the rest of the machine without those Webber headaches. Soon you will be rowing through the gears, picking your line with a smile from ear to ear. Welcome home!

Well Thank you. I went to your website and now have a cart full of stuff including dizzy. But before I pull the trigger I have a question. I have read a lot of different stuff on distributors and then a lot more on this website and others. I have my original retard dizzy. Over the last three weeks I have emailed and called tlc Jim c. He hasn’t got back to me yet so I am assuming he is buried busy like the rest of us which I totally understand. That being said, am I to understand that in all the rotw dizzys that actually had a vacuum advance are all points driven and no such thing as an advance dizzy with electronic guts?

Well Thank you. I went to your website and now have a cart full of stuff including dizzy. But before I pull the trigger I have a question. I have read a lot of different stuff on distributors and then a lot more on this website and others. I have my original retard dizzy. Over the last three weeks I have emailed and called tlc Jim c. He hasn’t got back to me yet so I am assuming he is buried busy like the rest of us which I totally understand. That being said, am I to understand that in all the rotw dizzys that actually had a vacuum advance are all points driven and no such thing as an advance dizzy with electronic guts?

i am a bit confused ?

i dont offer any Dizzzys currently ?

as far as your tech question here

there are a host of dizzy variations you are pondering above to be klear

so without knowing more on where you are shopping , i can't help until i would have more info ?

sorry matt

i am the LINKAGE guru who posted above , i offer NOS , and restored acceratior linkage parts

also :

just in after a long HIATUS

OARNGE Gas Peddle BOOTS !

1625545751148.png

1625545771755.png

Hi Matt. Sorry for not being clear. Your site has a ton of cool stuff. I was looking at your coil with resistor mounted already for points if points is my only option to get away from a distributor that doesn’t have an advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom