First Time Owner of a Land Cruiser and new to Forum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Name: Brent Thornton
Vehicle: 1992 FJ80
Vehicle Name: Undecided
Mileage: 236,000

Decided to buy an older vehicle to drive, have some fun, and I felt would last and hold value decently. I am about a month down the rabbit hole of learning about land cruisers. Started looking at 60 series, always liked the look, and settled on 80 series mainly because it fit my budget.

Peace
BT

748A2C27-0E0F-42A2-B5D7-A8256C0EFA88.jpeg

Welcome and congratulations!

Great looking rig. Always loved that color combo. Lots of info to be found and shared here.

Welcome Brent!

Nice looking cruiser. The two tone looks great. You're in the right place for anything Land Cruiser.

Welcome to being broke and the club. You will thoroughly enjoy your 80.

I have thought about selling my 80 several times but it is a rig I would instantly regret selling.

Appreciate the welcomes. I thought I was well down the rabbit hole until I started reading on this forum!
Peace

Welcome to Mud now get your wallet ready.
Clean looking Rig. The Mud family can be very helpful just don't let them spent all your money for you :cool:

Oh We'll definitely help you spend your money! :)

Welcome to MUD :flipoff2::flipoff2:.

Welcome from your “neighbor” just south of you in Highland Village…this Forum is by far the best one out there!

Appreciate the welcomes. I thought I was well down the rabbit hole until I started reading on this forum!
Peace
Welcome!

Just be aware of the differences with your year. Check to see what you have for sure before you panic and start pulling the head because you think your head gasket is failing (you have the 3F-E and the HG failures are on the 1FZ-FE)
Check your rear axle to confirm you have drum brakes and a semi-float rear axle. Anything 93+ has a full-float rear axle and has a different assembly than you.

Read a lot of posts from @jonheld because he knows a LOT about the 91-92 series and has answered nearly every possibility there may be in regards to what you're trying to do.

Everything you want to try to your LC has been answered SOMEWHERE in this forum. Searching for that is your best bet.
Start a build thread and you can ask and answer your questions in there or you can reply to threads already created. Replying to them brings them to the top and allows us to see and review them.

Some of us (me included) will gouge on you and push you to think for yourself, but are happy to help. Just put on you big girl panties and suck it up.

Great to have you here!

Welcome. I've had my 92 for 23 years now (and it looks it).

The 3FE is slow but dependable. I've done a BUNCH of work on her myself and plan on doing more. Current projects for 2023 are Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) delete, clean the interior (about 15 years overdue), reupholster front driver's seat, and redo the knuckles. I'm lazy so won't get it all done.

Over the years I've replaced a piston (which included a BUNCH of other work), rebuilt the knuckles, put 2-1/2" lift on it, complete new brakes in 2019, and other little stuff. Jonheld is a good reference.

Irony…I dropped off my LC with my mechanic for a once over and one of his employees just purchased a…1992 Land Cruiser. Irony. Again appreciate the comments and look forward to the journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom