First time off road - impressive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, the cruiser's, not mine.

I was pretty impressed with the suspension's articulation as well as the traction control. I'm used to diff locks, so getting the wheelspin to activate the trac control took a little to get used to. It just crawled up it, albeit a bit noisily from the ABS.

It did really well in a cross-axled situation. I've seen this spot stop a 6in lifted (non locked) Wrangler.

Funny thing about wheeling in a Cruiser: the baby can be in the back seat watching a movie in air-conditioned comfort with no problem at all.

Now that I've tested the 4wd system, its time for bumpers and rocker guards and skids so I don't mess everything up.

John
thats articulation1.JPG

I agree, the TRAC works well, but I'm looking forward to installing a rear ARB. I was happy with the rear articlulation, quite a bit of wheel travel compared to some other Toyota's I've driven.

Front and rear bumpers are terrible. Sliders are a must if planning any serious off roading.

Comfort? My buddy was wheeling his Jeep and his brother got out and rode with me:D He's like, "Now this is wheeling!"

calamaridog said:
I agree, the TRAC works well, but I'm looking forward to installing a rear ARB.

What happens to the TRAC if you install an ARB locker? Do you simply disable it?

And yep, I agree, these things are WAY more capable than the refined exterior and luxo interior make them seem.

I too have gotten past spots (albeit mild) that other "Trail Rated Vehicles" couldn't... :flipoff2:

Did you lock the center differential at all or just let the TRAC work things out the entire time?

Any reason to lock the differential these days with all the wizardry under the hood?

What do you think would be best for deep snow - Lock the center or leave it unlocked?

--
Patrick

TRAC doesn't work if it doesn't sense wheel slip, such as if the ARB is engaged. Front end would still have TRAC. So locked rear and TRAC front with full steering control sounds like a good traction combination to me.

As far as deep snow goes, I haven't driven this thing in deep snow yet. Schotts has some good experience both with snow and the ARB lockers so maybe he'll chime in.

Center diff locks in 4 low automatically.

Glockenspiel - I had it in 4 lo, and the center diff locked, but I had to engage it myself, I didn't see it lock automatically, and I think my owner's manual said it was a selectable lock.

Oh, I'm a Glock guy too by the way, but thats a different topic.

The reason I didn't let the TRAC do it alone was that like I had mentioned before I'm used to Diff locks which literally make a vehicle crawl up something without revving or wheelspin. So, it started making a bunch of noise (TRAC) and wheelslip, and I figured I had to lock it. I really didn't give it a chance alone, and should've.

I will try it in deep snow this winter. Last winter I had a Denali in deep snow - no center diff lock, but "Traction Control" and boy was I mad when I got stuck and only one wheel was spinning, Traction Control was so confused it didn't work at all. One of my reasons for getting the Cruiser - I need a REAL 4WD system.

I would expect it to work great, because in that pic it is a really tough spot (why I used it) and the left ftront wheel was off the ground there too, so a pretty good test of a traction control system.

On the ARB, I would expect one of the big advantages would be not having to have the wheelspin in order to get the traction. I could see that being important for "finesse" off-roading over rocks etc. I don't plan on having my Cruiser be a rock crawler - thats what I have a Rubicon for :D

John

NEVER run a 4WD trail where there are crossed axle/flexed out situations in a 2000+ Cruiser with the center diff UN-locked. Of you flex out and lose traction, and begin to roll forwards or backwards and hit the brakes, the brakes will still pulsate and you will still roll a ways before the brakes actually stop you therefore risking trouble. This will NEVER happen with the center locked. It take time to learn the system. :) LOCK UP! :)

Last edited:
Zen Dude said:
Sorry to sound dumb but what does "crossed axle/flexed out" mean?

When opposite wheels on opposite axles have little or no traction (like that above pic)(they criss-cross)

ShottsUZJ100 said:
there are crossed axle/flexed out situations in a 2000+ Cruiser with the center diff UN-locked. Of you flex out and lose traction

Is that supposed to show front flex???

Oh sorry, I'll go back over to the 80's section again....

Shotts you leave yourself wide open sometimes.

clownmidget said:
Is that supposed to show front flex???

Oh sorry, I'll go back over to the 80's section again....

Shotts you leave yourself wide open sometimes.

Let's see some pics of your wheel travel? I'm dying to see all that flex.

now that's impressive!
31281294-S.jpg

31281298-M.jpg

Ya, Walt's got it all. He want to upsize to 35's but his MTR's still keep going. I think because he has 33's that the flex looks a bit more impressive than the typical 80 with 35's???? :confused:

calamaridog said:
Let's see some pics of your wheel travel? I'm dying to see all that flex.

will try to comply once I get home.

Shotts, in your pic I see you still have our rear swaybar connected. Wondering if Walt's is on in his pic.

clownmidget said:
will try to comply once I get home.

Shotts, in your pic I see you still have our rear swaybar connected. Wondering if Walt's is on in his pic.

That pic? Yes. Now, I no longer have either sways as the 80 is a dedicated trail rig. (Wish I could remove the 100 sways too. I will when I find a 2nd 100)

Walt has his sways attached. It's DD kind of.

Typical, everyday front flex on an 80...

Older shot, with swaybars, 35" AT's, stock front arms.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom