First time LC Buyer - FZJ80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I've been searching for my Land Cruiser for several months now. I'm looking at buying a '94 FZJ80 with about 116k miles on it. I'm going to go check it out this week and would love your input on what to look for. Any potential problems that '94 cruiser are prone to? I appreciate any help I can get.

94LC.jpg
94LC-2.jpg
94LC-3.jpg
94LC-4.jpg
94LC-5.jpg

I think the first thing everyone will be interested to hear is the asking price. It looks like a nice truck but I would be interested to see more photos of the undercarriage and rust spots (for comparison my 94' with 291k from the west coast doesn't have any of the rust you are seeing).

Pros: Clean, stock, lockers, very low mileage, 94 model year

Cons: Mileage seems too good to be true, rust could be scarier than it looks

It could be a great buy if the price is right and you do your due diligence. There's a long list of things to check and I'm sure others will reply with those details. Have you driven any 80 series cruisers to compare it with?

I think the first thing everyone will be interested to hear is the asking price. It looks like a nice truck but I would be interested to see more photos of the undercarriage and rust spots (for comparison my 94' with 291k from the west coast doesn't have any of the rust you are seeing).

Pros: Clean, stock, lockers, very low mileage, 94 model year

Cons: Mileage seems too good to be true, rust could be scarier than it looks

It could be a great buy if the price is right and you do your due diligence. There's a long list of things to check and I'm sure others will reply with those details. Have you driven any 80 series cruisers to compare it with?

Thanks. I have no 80 series driving experience only the 100 series. Those are the only undercarriage photos I have right now. Asking price is $12k I was told 116k original miles with one owner.

i had that many miles on mine 17 years ago....
looks like a cream puff! get it.

Read through the FAQ. I may buy it if you don't; I need a mate for my green '94.

No sweat, that's what questions are for.

Out of curiosity, is the seller deployed overseas?

That price is a little high (for me). I have a 94 with no lockers and it had ~175K but I got it for $3K. I'd rather pocket the $9K difference and use it for doo-dads (including lockers or a detroit autolocker or whatever).

It's a nice truck for sure though by the pictures and description. If you have the time/patience/desire I'd get something cheaper.

My $0.02.

I paid more than 12 for a California 94 with 94.5k miles. It was super clean, all original, and the previous owner was super anal with everything. I bought it only having seen pics and had it shipped. My mechanic confirmed it was everything that had been claimed. If it has records, don't let the price scare you.

Looks pretty good, at least worth going to look at.

I'd spend some time looking underneath for any significant rust, though from the pic it looks pretty good.

That vehicle 'might' have factory front and rear locking diffs (desirable), since I can see the switch for it, BUT...you need to look at the door tag and see if there is a code (K294). IF so, then the vehicle (as it left the factory) had/has locking diffs. IF you find a code (K292) it did not have factory lockers and the switch has been installed (possibly to control aftermarket lockers, or maybe just for looks), be careful and CHECK!

Thanks. I have no 80 series driving experience only the 100 series. Those are the only undercarriage photos I have right now. Asking price is $12k I was told 116k original miles with one owner.

IF the mileage checks out and it does indeed have lockers, no significant rust , then a clean one owner (low mileage) L/C of that vintage would be just on the high side of a 'fair' price in my market (Houston, Texas area). But it wouldn't last too long here.

The trend where I live (Texas) is that 80 series L/C's are increasing in price (nice ones) and 100 series are coming down.

Is that the dealer that runs ads on EBay, if i remember right, i think his dealership is located Virginia. If that is in fact the same truck, he's had it listed for sale for months. If it is the same truck he's come down on the price, a few months back he had it listed for over 16 grand.

One other item i noticed in your photos, the taco badge on the rear lift gate is missing. Now this might mean nothing (the badge might have just fallen off) or the truck could of been in a wreck, or it might of just had a repaint. Anyway you look at it, you'll want to look that part of the body over real good, look for body work, over spray, paint mismatch, and make sure you pull a Car fax before you make any offer.

IF the mileage checks out and it does indeed have lockers, no significant rust , then a clean one owner (low mileage) L/C of that vintage would be just on the high side of a 'fair' price in my market (Houston, Texas area). But it wouldn't last too long here.

The trend where I live (Texas) is that 80 series L/C's are increasing in price (nice ones) and 100 series are coming down.
In Dallas too.

What are your plans for the truck? DD or trail? what kind of trail? it is a nice 80 except the rust but for 12K you can get a 100 series.
Things to consider some parts for the 80 are no longer available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom