First time Knuckle Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok...i just got back from picking up my "new" 89 FJ62

Made the 3000 mile trip without the slightest hiccup...seattle to cleveland...rolled 150,000 on the odometer just as i got home.

Along the way though, i did notice the telltale signs that the knuckle seals are pretty much done.

I have done my searching due-dillegence on the procedure and many thanks to Jim Phillips and to Morgan for their write-ups on it.

I'm going to order the parts and get everything together...i'm psyched...this will be the first time i've done this and i am eager to get in there and really learn how the hubs and birfs work etc.

i'll try and take pics as i go along and post em up

once i finish the 62 i'm going to do the same for the FJ40

Probably wouldn't be doing this if it werent for Mud ...:beer:

johnkappus - I'll soon be doing my first knukle too and I'm looking forward to following your progress. Thank god for Mud!

what are the signs of needing a knuckle build?

weeping oil or the oil / dust mixture caked on the knuckle is a dead give away.

Here are a Few pointers from a guy who is also pretty new at this, and just finished the knuckles.

- buy a box of latex gloves.

- Brass drifts are the easiest way to get out pressed in races, and cone washers.

- Use the old bearing race to hit the hammer against to get the new race seated.

The rebuild kit comes with new shims that replace the old ones that go below the knuckle arm and bearing cap ( on top and on bottom of the knuckle) There is a spacer that you need to re-use and then the shim. The THICKER one is the spacer. Keep it and re-use it.

thanks for the tips!

where did you order your rebuilt kit?

Specter off road, but there are others.

Cruiser outfitters has one

CruiserOutfitters BAYBAY!

I just compleated my first last weekend it was a learning experance. Tip number one do not forget that dam felt and rudder washer before you put the housing back togeather ;p ;p DOOOO. But all in all it went great and Morgans write up helped alot. Brass drift set from sears will be your best friend along with a nice piece of red oak(hard wood). I bought my kit from E-Bay nice kit with koyo bearings. Good luck and my your supply of papper towel never wear out.:cheers:

Cone washers: rotate washer to be removed to 12 o'clock position (after removing outer locking hub) put hand in front of cone washer, smack top of hub with ball peen hammer. Washer will shoot out of hub into your hand. Mine did just that on each side!!

What are some other signs besides the obvious oil leak that your knuckles needs to be rebuilt?

Big sur if you have 200,000 miles+ It's probably a good idea.

Get the knuckle rebuild DVD from elmariachi. It is super helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom