First time FJ40 restorer looking for direction on finding parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Definitely a lot of not original parts in that dash picture….
So....about that dash. It's several months down the road into my restore and I'm tackling the dash. Getting everything stripped off and getting it ready for paint so now is the time to abandon POs extras and trying to take it back somewhere near stock. I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what stock looked like. Found a great thread on Mud with a ton of stock pictures but still seems like there is a TON of variation even on a particular year.

I know I'm removing the grab handle on the far right. Cigarette lighter between handle and glove box seems like its using a hole formerly meant for a light on a soft top? Not sure about the hole directly above ash tray.? Don't even know what that is for. Was disconnected by PO.

Biggest question, and I'm afraid to ask - the radio cutout.?. is that cutout a field mod? If so, anyone know what buttons or knobs were there that have been lost or abandoned?

This dash doesn't have to be 100% back to stock but if I'm going to make any changes, now is the time.....Hoping to educate myself to weigh the options. Oh yeah, did I mention its a 72'.?.

Certainly lots of examples of original dash layouts from Mud Members and reference documents. Your dash has lots of PO "upgrades". Radio location is not where is should be. Below is a snapshot of the dash of a '73 Owner's manual. I think the heater controls are different. A 1972 Owner's manual would be a great reference. There is a great link for pdf's of owner's manual however I can't find it. I'm sure some Mud member has it booked marked.

1649176438782.png

Certainly lots of examples of original dash layouts from Mud Members and reference documents. Your dash has lots of PO "upgrades". Radio location is not where is should be. Below is a snapshot of the dash of a '73 Owner's manual. I think the heater controls are different. A 1972 Owner's manual would be a great reference. There is a great link for pdf's of owner's manual however I can't find it. I'm sure some Mud member has it booked marked.

View attachment 2972583
Yep, got it. Thanks for your help! I did find a similar schematic from a 72. Will have to dig in further. Much appreciated.

View attachment 2972583
Any idea what these 2 spaces are for? The far right circled one is now a cigarette lighter but everything that I find (including above scheme) shows the space either not there or as a canvas top option. Not sure if mine would've originally had a hole there at all since I've got a hard top.?. Also, there is a small pull above the ashtray that is a mystery. Any ideas? I noticed there seems to be a somewhat similarly placed button on scheme above but it isn't identified.?. Thinking that it may be too big of an undertaking to patch the radio hole back to stock but if I can at least cleanup the PO extras on the right side of the dash that'd help. Mini grab bar will be gone.

IMG_1900.jpg

Any idea what these 2 spaces are for? The far right circled one is now a cigarette lighter but everything that I find (including above scheme) shows the space either not there or as a canvas top option. Not sure if mine would've originally had a hole there at all since I've got a hard top.?. Also, there is a small pull above the ashtray that is a mystery. Any ideas? I noticed there seems to be a somewhat similarly placed button on scheme above but it isn't identified.?. Thinking that it may be too big of an undertaking to patch the radio hole back to stock but if I can at least cleanup the PO extras on the right side of the dash that'd help. Mini grab bar will be gone.

View attachment 2974718

Mine's a 10/71 and aside from the PO's extra hole in the dash ( currently a fog light switch) should be pretty original. I think your extra cigarette lighter is where the "Vader" light would go on the soft top. Mine has the factory plug. The small switch above the ash try appears to be a relocated cabin light switch. Mine is tho the left of the ash try.
Personally, I've found that buying an old LC is a life long treasure hunt...enjoy.

PXL_20220408_014115561.jpg

I appreciate the input! Nice looking dash. Lifelong treasure hunt AND daily education!

I can only speak for myself, but I get a 25% discount at the Toyota dealer for TLCA membership. FYI look into it.

I went to my local Toyota dealer, I asked to speak to the parts manager. I told him I was buying a lot of parts for my restoration. He gave me dealer cost plus 20%.
That's a lot better than a 20% discount. It's worth a try.

Your truck looks nice, take your time, enjoy the experience.

My 10/71(72) dash layout was the same as liven the life's layout, less the added hole he mentioned. The AM radio was mounted under the steering column.

While the DribbleDrive Beer Dispenser gas cap was nice I really like the inclinometer/level gauge. If it's got a brand name I'd like to know it.

With the cigarette lighter all the way on the other side of the dash I assume the PO wasn't a smoker...or was just really trying to quit.

While the DribbleDrive Beer Dispenser gas cap was nice I really like the inclinometer/level gauge. If it's got a brand name I'd like to know it.

With the cigarette lighter all the way on the other side of the dash I assume the PO wasn't a smoker...or was just really trying to quit.
Both great insights! I thought the same about the lighter - not exactly within reach! I’ll look into the gauge and let you know. I’d be curious to know the likely simple technology behind it, too.

Okay - new theory: Whoever was riding shotgun needed a place to plug in the hand held spotlight for the nightly poaching forays.:hillbilly:

So..., no luck on finding a brand name on the inclinometer.👎

Definitely a PO hack job on cutting out a rectangle for the radio. Leaning toward patching that back in and punching original holes in its place. Anyone have idea of the diameter size of the holes? Most likely I suspect I'm missing the Choke, Hazard and cigarette lighter holes. Ideally, I'd love to have placement dimensions or a template of some kind but that might be hard to come by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom