First Time Buyer: Need Some Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Still trying to get my footing here so I hope this post is okay.

I've been searching for a newer GX for some time but today I came across a 2006 LX470 (112K) for 19k and really fell in love. I'm heading to the dealer again on Friday and have an appointment with a third party Lexus dealership to get a full rundown of issues. Is this typically the best route to take? I do have a local mechanic that I like but he has more general knowledge than Lexus/Land Cruiser specific.

I did have some concerns in the test drive. First I did not see any indication either under the hood or in the CarFax that the timing belt was replaced at 90k. The vehicle drove straight but the steering wheel was off center while doing so. Would these issues alone make the price too high?

Thanks! Any other suggestions or tips in the buying process would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest you find and lean on the local MUDDERS in the area for checking out rigs in person. Beer and pizza can go a long way! Oneof them is a mod in this forum too.

Run the vin through the Lexus owners website and see if there are any dealer service records. If not ask if they have any other records.

If there is no evidence the TB has been done use it as a bargaining chip. Don’t sweat it though—going to 112k with the original wouldn’t harm the truck but do get it done as soon as possible. It’s about $1200 to have it done at a good cruiser shop using Toyota/Aisin/Denso parts and do all the properly preventative maintenance

condition, maintenance, and lack of rust are more important than miles but unless they never changed the oil it shouldn’t be too neglected at that mileage. you can look for other little hints to see what kind of owner it had (does it have good vs cheap tires on it, is the interior in good condition, etc.).

Still have it checked obviously. Take it to your mechanic in addition to the third party dealer if you want. Can’t hurt—with the exception of few things they’re pretty standard in their design.

the steering wheel is a bit concerning. It may indicate an accident or a bad curb hit. That’s something to be sure you have a diagnosis on before buying. Again, another bargaining chip.

Register, and run the VIN through Lexus Owners website. And remember to deregister the VIN if you don’t purchase.

Ah- @NearJetties beat me by 3 seconds 😁.

I was wondering if you got it? I think that is a great price for the miles. In the Seattle market it would likely sell fast depending on the color. Do you have any pictures of it? Mechanically they are really solid for many reasons that I will not list on this thread. In my opinion the GX is a completely different class of vehicle, I would go with the LX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom