First time 80 series woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whats up mud! Been on here for a long time mining land cruiser information. I finally bit the bullet and bought a 94 FZJ80 locally. It was in pretty rough condition cosmetically but the body was straight, it had factory lockers, and I could get the engine to run. $2500 and new battery later and I had my first cruiser!

I noticed that the truck had some issues climbing up my pretty steep driveway. I was having to give it excessive throttle before the wheels would even start to rotate (still haven't determined whats causing this). I went to move it yesterday and this symptom had gotten considerably worse. I barely got it to drive forward on flat ground.

When I went to try and get it back in the garage (it was parked on a small slant in my front yard) the engine started spilling oil underneath (smelled and looks like engine oil) and I saw a little bit of smoke coming from near where the transmission housing mates to the engine.

After shutting it off I noticed fuel coming out underneath the rear quarter panel. It looked like some of the fuel was actually pushed out of the filler neck (maybe bad evap lines or charcoal canister?)

So with all that being said. I need to figure out some next steps to take with this project. Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be off the top of your head? And what something like that might cost? I think the fuel might be any easy fix but now I'm wondering if my engine/drivetrain is shot. The engine was still running good when I shut it off last.

I'm not trying to build a perfect truck but I do want something I can use to take on adventures reliably.

Thanks!

Maybe I'm wrong but that fluid looks like ATF. Plus are you missing the cover plate in the bottom photo?

Thanks for the responses. I think you all are right about the ATF... it's starting to make some sense now I think :doh:
I'm just worried something blew when its started puking out fluid in the driveway. I'm gonna look in to this as soon as I can and come back with my findings.

Coming back from lunch today I noticed a couple of drops where I reversed into a parking spot, after looking under the truck I saw a similar seen to your photo above :(. I definitely think its ATF, I'm at work so I can't crawl under the truck for a better look right now. I'll report back when I find out more. never had an issue with the transmission and I don't remember reading about any common ATF leaks on here, maybe someone else will chime in with known problem areas or first things to check.

First thing I would check is ATF level.

drain the ATF and look for obvious stuff like metal. Then just refill it and strat with that. Also on a side note, in neutral it should role pretty easy on a slight slope. You might also have stuck calipers in addition to transmission problems.

Coming back from lunch today I noticed a couple of drops where I reversed into a parking spot, after looking under the truck I saw a similar seen to your photo above :(. I definitely think its ATF, I'm at work so I can't crawl under the truck for a better look right now. I'll report back when I find out more. never had an issue with the transmission and I don't remember reading about any common ATF leaks on here, maybe someone else will chime in with known problem areas or first things to check.
That area is a very common area to have oil. I think almost all of us have a "wet" area there. Mine stays wet there but never even leaves a mark in the driveway. But usually it is engine oil weeping from a slow leak in the rear main seal or oil pan arch. Both are very common and usually not worth fixing.

I agree you need to check the ATF level first. I can't see your photo but crawl underneath (chock the wheels) and see if you can find that leak if it's really "puking".

I don't think these are your problems but if you run out of places to look you might think about adjusting the transmission kickdown cable. It's pretty easy to do per the free FSM instructions. Search for that and you'll find it. Then consider adjusting the TPS throttle position sensor. I did on my 94 and it made a huge difference in downshifting etc. But again, look at your ATF level/ leak first.

drain the ATF and look for obvious stuff like metal. Then just refill it and strat with that. Also on a side note, in neutral it should role pretty easy on a slight slope. You might also have stuck calipers in addition to transmission problems.

I agree you need to check the ATF level first. I can't see your photo but crawl underneath (chock the wheels) and see if you can find that leak if it's really "puking".

I don't think these are your problems but if you run out of places to look you might think about adjusting the transmission kickdown cable. It's pretty easy to do per the free FSM instructions. Search for that and you'll find it. Then consider adjusting the TPS throttle position sensor. I did on my 94 and it made a huge difference in downshifting etc. But again, look at your ATF level/ leak first.

Thank you guys! Really helpful info. Gonna look in to all of this on Sunday hopefully. I'll post updates as soon as I find out whats up.

My leak ended up being the hose clamp on the heater valve and coolant driping down to the bell housing. Gotta replace these hit OEM clamps, ATF level was fine. Good luck to you Fuzzyapples

You have low atf. I busted a trans cooler line few months back and it sprayed my atf fluid all over. I trailered the vehicle home but had to get it in the garage. Like you, when I gave if gas it could barely move. Putting it in 4lo helped to get it in garage. Once I replaced the hose and refilled trans it moves just fine.

I suggest you fill with fluid, turn on and see where leak is from.

My leak ended up being the hose clamp on the heater valve and coolant driping down to the bell housing. Gotta replace these hit OEM clamps, ATF level was fine. Good luck to you Fuzzyapples

You have low atf. I busted a trans cooler line few months back and it sprayed my atf fluid all over. I trailered the vehicle home but had to get it in the garage. Like you, when I gave if gas it could barely move. Putting it in 4lo helped to get it in garage. Once I replaced the hose and refilled trans it moves just fine.

I suggest you fill with fluid, turn on and see where leak is from.

Ok, so i finally got around to this during the weekend. I degreased and pressure washed underneath the rig and in the engine bay. Drained ATF (maybe 1.5-2 qt. came out). Refilled with about 3-3.5 qt. and cranked the engine. Seemed to run good and I didn't see any leaks. When I gave the engine some gas I saw a little bit start to come out of the same location. Then this morning I noticed a lot more leaked out overnight in the same location. As far as I can tell, its coming from the small weep hole at the bottom of the bell housing. Right underneath the inspection whole for the torque converter. I'll check the lines again like you guys suggested, but if it is coming from somewhere inside the bell housing what would it be?

Maybe the front seal where the torque converter goes into the transmission? I don't know what Toyota calls it or if function is the same but on a Chrysler tranny it would be the front pump seal. I couldn't find a good diagram in the FSM for you, I think it must be in the tranny repair manual.

Maybe the front seal where the torque converter goes into the transmission? I don't know what Toyota calls it or if function is the same but on a Chrysler tranny it would be the front pump seal. I couldn't find a good diagram in the FSM for you, I think it must be in the tranny repair manual.

Yeah I've heard of the pump seal. I'll look in to that thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom