Builds First time 80 owner build thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is the progress so far, the body is off and I got the new frame welded and prepped/painted. Next is cleaning up the axles with new paint and pinions seals, and installing new suspension bushings and seals/gaskets for the engine and trans. I will also rebuild the steering box.
973D65A6-C6C5-4882-BF41-F6F3424C865A.jpeg
62102EF0-617A-41A9-8C7B-9CEF41457B33.jpeg
28FFDE56-8E59-47A6-AF69-DB0F5DBA1225.jpeg

I can also report the corbeau sport seats are total garbage and I would not recommend them. After a few thousand miles the side bolster is worn down and it feels like I am sitting on a crappy couch bed. The head rests are flimsy and ugly. Overall low quality. I would much rather get some decent oem seats from something else in the future.

What is the grille headlight situation going to be?

Crazy turn of events...looks like you have a shop & some skills.
Is your new budget 10K now?
Is the new chassis an fzj80?
Are you doing a fj60 grill?

Crazy turn of events...looks like you have a shop & some skills.
Is your new budget 10K now?
Is the new chassis an fzj80?
Are you doing a fj60 grill?
Well I have a shop, skills are questionable. I got the frame, inner fender, outer fender, front support piece, Grill, lower facia from a salvage yard for about $1000. Not too bad as long as I don’t value my time lol. I still need to get new headlights, haven’t decided on which ones. The frame is an fzj80 frame, someone had already cut out the rear crossmember so I removed my old one and welded it in. They are pretty close to each other, hopefully I don’t have to modify it further.

My vote is the retro fj60 grill... just sayin.

with all that new rubber it will drive & handle like a dream.

Well here is the progress, it has been slow but it’s picking up now. I have all the suspension components installed except the diagonal bars that go from the frame to the axles. Don’t have enough weight on the frame for them to align properly. Tried to do it with some heavy duty ratchet straps but it felt way too sketchy so I’m going to wait on those until the body is back on the frame. For any other mentally I’ll people considering swapping fj80 components onto an fzj80 frame, good news! So far the only difference I can see is the motor mounts and the front captive nuts for the rear anti-roll bar. The hole is on the frame in the correct spot but it doesn’t have a captive nut so I’ll need to figure something out. Suggestions are welcomed. I’m thinking a riv-nut but I’m not super pumped about it. As for the motor mounts, I’m going to cut the fzj80 mounts off and re-locate them forward to match the 3f mounts. Of course I scrapped the fj80 front section months ago so I can’t use those.

IMG_6644.jpeg

IMG_6642.jpeg

IMG_6643.jpeg

Got the mounts welded in, applied por and then went to mounting accessories and connecting the rest of the drivetrain and suspension to prepare for re-uniting with the body.
IMG_7238.jpeg
IMG_7249.jpeg

One of the 02 sensors had a massive leak.
IMG_7260.jpeg
IMG_7266.jpeg
IMG_7268.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom