First start help - no fuel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm finally starting this pig up after my rebuild and I'm getting spark, turning over, but not getting fuel. I disconnected the fuel line at the FPR and cranked to confirm. Nothing came out.

I pulled the fuel pump relay and jumped the fuel pump directly from the plug (a tip from another thread). Nothing, no noise or anything. This truck has been sitting with a (mostly) empty tank for over 3 years. I put 5 gal of fresh gas in it this afternoon. Could it be the fuel pump died from rusting due to condensation? It ran before it died due to running without oil by the PO. I was able to start it briefly when I got it 3 years ago. Before I run out and buy a $200 pump tomorrow, are there any other things to check?

CEL is ON with key in ignition
EFI Fuse is good
EFI relay? Not sure how to test it. The hor relay doesn't fit in the slot.

Help is appreciated.

Welp, I think I just answered my own question. After testing for power at the fuel pump, I pulled it and found this:

1DF76BE7-A957-4056-9BA2-7AB70C482B0E.jpeg

2EA457EC-2DB1-441E-A3D3-84C1E6CB886B.jpeg

6DCF9EBC-D5E3-4C67-9115-74EBAA523F93.jpeg

Guess I’ll be dropping the tank now...:bang::bang::bang:

Buy some thermocure and let it soak in there for a week or so. I know thermocure is for radiators, but for $20 on Amazon it makes 3-4 gallons of a great rust remover. So maybe buy 3 things of thermocure add 9 gallons of water and soak your tank for a week and flip it over for another week. ALL the rust in your tank will be gone! Thermocure isn't acidic and wont eat away anything, its actually biodegradable. I used this method on my motorcycle tank and it came out beautiful and completely rust free.

When you are done with that Thermocure dump it into a 5 gallon bucket and you have a great rust remover for future parts. I just soaked my rusted tow hooks after I cured my rust problem in my motorcycle tank. The tow hooks came out great, a little spritz of black enamel and it was good to go!

Thanks for the tip! I’ll check that out. Still bummed that I didn’t get to start it this weekend but I guess it’s better than running that crap through my brand new injectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom