First real vacation.....

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by bigndn, Aug 3, 2005.

1. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm taking my first real vacation ever, starting next week. Every other time I've gone to TX/CO/OK to help family with something. I'm taking fishing gear, ATV's, etc. We're going to our family cabin in CO. This should be interesting. This will be the first time I've gone there without my grandparents. Elevation 11K. 2 weeks of nothing but fishing, hotsprings, ATVing, sight seeing. Pretty awesome........I hope it all goes well.

I guess this is two firsts......I've never had a vacation in the summer, either.

Anyone have any experiences/problems going from 3000 feet to 11000 feet, specifically with young children?

in advance.........I know I'll be sucking wind up there.

edit: no phone, no computer, some scratchy radio reception. We'll get to bond even closer by talking more, playing games, etc.

2. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    Don't drink, give the kids pleanty of water and OJ. Might take some aspirin to thin the blood. Spend the night at about 5-6k before getting to 11k...

OH btw, where?

3. HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Media:
    Albums:
    First vacation huh... and how old are you???

Everytime I take vacation it's usually back to UT and by the time I get there I'm too broke to do much aside from the road trip. Still go every year or so. Last time got to see the grand canyon and glen canyon dam then drove through some So UT parks and saw Moab from the tourist strip. That's what I need, 2 weeks in the mtns fishing. Cabin up in CO sounds like heaven man. Enjoy it and be safe. We'll see ya when you get back. Take pics for us.

4. crushers

crushers post ho

congrates,
    WARNING:
    after the first real vacation more will follow at ever increasing regularity...

here's to an enjoyable vacation...
    cheers

5. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:
    LOL, I'm turning 34 next week.........I've been too busy taking care of my grandparents, but now they're gone. I'll definately get pics!

I'll be between Buena Vista and Salida up behind a little ghost town. Mt Princeton hotsprings is just down the mountain.

6. HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Media:
    Albums:
    Um well... sorry to hear...

Heck enjoy your vacation :D :cheers:

7. bull

bull

Media:
    Albums:
    Also if you can get access to one an oxygen tank would work great. Don't use it 24/7, Only if expereince dizzyness or headaches. It will help you adjust.

I went from Seatte Wa 0 Elevation to Cripple Creek Colorado 10k-11k and it was brutal. Some of the stores sold Oxygen tanks and it work like a charm.

8. mabrodis

mabrodis

No, no pics of your grandparents necessary.. :rolleyes:

No problems with elevation at all, except it'll be ALOT colder at night than what you're probably useto...shouldn't need anything special for the kids, heck their bodies are more flexible than your old one is... :D

Have a great time...(I'll expect your PM with the address momentarily) :D

9. freightdog

freightdog

Dude have a good one!

You deserve it!

still don't have those doors on -

the wife just refuses to ride in the 40 - okay with me!

If you drop on down to the Navajo Rez - look me up!

10. DSRTRDR

DSRTRDR I can mangle anything ... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    good luck and enjoy!

take everything easy, adjust slowly if you can; and - just in case someone starts feeling real bad - DO get DOWN !!! There is no other cure for altitude sickness. Normal symptoms: lightheadedness, dehydration, sleeplessness, breathlessness. Not Normal: persistent headache, real breathing problems, dizzyness and persistent nausea and some other problems (look up at a medical website just to be prepared). Like others said: drink a lot (water!, kids need salty and sweet to replenish minerals); an Aspirin a day can only help.

11. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the advice, guys! It's never been too bad on me, but I was wondering about the baby mostly, since he's only 5 weeks old.

12. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

you should ask your doctor. 5 weeks is pretty tender, don't know how it would affect their sleeping.

have a good vacation.

13. LabRat11

LabRat11

Hancock?? StElmo?? TinCup??

I'm totally jealous - that's one of my favorite areas I've ever visited.

As many have already said - take it easy the first day or 2; if symptoms persist GET DOWN; take many pics to share with us; and by all means possible ENJOY YOURSELF.

14. MaddMatt

MaddMatt

I can't stress enough how important it is for everybody in your family to drink lots of water. At 5 weeks, make sure the milk supply is flowing, which if breast feeding means double the double amount of water for mom. water water water... Can't stress it enough. If you have a free hand, make sure there's a bottle of water in it.

After a couple days you should all adjust just fine, but if your are getting the headaches, etc... drink some water and take a nap. It is vacation after all.

And here's one I learned the hard way with the little ones, make sure you bring some age appropriate tylenol. Work out the dosages with the doc before you go, and don't be afraid to just give some to the baby before bed the first couple nights. They can't tell you if they're having altitude sickness, but a restless baby in a strange place can ruin a night's sleep for the whole family, which leads to a long day, which leads to another long night, etc..... trust me on this one.

15. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:
    LabRatt11........Exactly the area.

We'll be drinking loads of high quality H2O, thanks again guys! The pediatrician suggested we stay the night around 6K to sorta acclimate before we go up, so we're gonna try to do that.

Thanks Matt, I'll make sure to get some tylenol stuff for Jr.

I really appreciate everybody's input!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.